petco has clams

coralreefaquarist

(rock2)wow petco has 2 clams trupet corals bunch of new almost dead tangs gsp mushroms. arghhh everything looks like a turd except the clams. give em a week(wife)

why why why why the hell would they stock clams. if they werent 50 bucks i would of saved em. they will die whether its in there poorly lit tank or when someone comes in and buys it for there sons goldfish bowl(enforcer) lame

really upset

just had to share

dont buy them. at petco if someone buys something that is a "signal" to corporate that the product bought is something that "sells" so they ship 3 more in to replace it. they ship 3 in hopes that 1 of them will be bought by some poor sap trying to save money, or by someone like you that wants to "save" them. i too thought the same thing, but after talking with the manager there, it just causes the cycle to become worse.

also....for your knowledge, they do water changes by adding fresh water at whatever temp it comes out at and then add the salt, the tanks go cloudy, then clear up over time. the salinity is often way off. i know this because i talked to one of the people there and he was complaining about how they did it, and that the management wouldn't let them do it the right way.

I used to take a walk from the local booksotre while my daughter was doing Storytime. It is really a shame. They used to have two nice, fairly well informed people working there (Aaron and Brian). Brian tranferred to another store and Aaron no longer work there. I was told that the owner didn't want to try adding anything much beyond what they had. A good thing!

i worked at the corvallis petco for a number of years, and while some of their practices were disagreeable, we never were forced to make water changes inside the tanks. we did it very much like its done at peoples homes, in large garbage cans. my store had a rare combination of deeply concerned animal owners, intelligent employees, and managers who listened. with the limited amount of tools i had, i was able to take care of our saltwater animals properly, because my managers trusted my knowlegde and understood just because its written down in a corporate instruction manual, doesnt make it right.

if you can cause enough furor at the corporate level, they will listen. thats why they dont sell dyed glass tetras or botias anymore. strong public opinion changes policy.

They don't want to spend the money on "educated" employees.

Our club is about educating people about the reef and proper husbandry, maybe we should come up with an "official" letter to send to the corporate level of Petco and explain to them how we all feel about their obvious disregard to the survivability of their specimins. Maybe if enough of us send them a letter, and post this on the other reef forums to, so people who are members of those can tell Petco how they feel. The only way to initiate change is to be vocal about it.

Jusy my opinion.

I too like the idea. When I was first getting into fish I bought a few from there just to have them die in my tank shortly after. When I would go back they had a "F' it" attitude that really upset me. Haven't been back since except for the occasional nail clipping on my dog.

i have to agree, i have heard of many good petco stores, but also many bad. of the ones i have been to 100% of them have been unacceptable as far as fish health, care, and process.

i just have lost so much stuff that i bought from petco, and have seen so much dead in tanks, it just doesn't save any money if the fish you bought for 75% of the LFS price dies on you. you get what you pay for is a term that definitely works in my experience with petco.