Building my system

darrellw

ah....ok....I am building a 36g so would it be safe to build stand for 400 or so pounds?

That seems like a reasonable estimate.

In my opinion, you could use 3/4" ply for a tank that size. The important thing is to make sure it is well put together (screws and glue), and that you have the sides, back, top and bottom well tied together.

To be super safe, you could build a 2x4 frame, then skin with thinner plywood.

There is a table of wood strengths here: http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/strength_table.htm

2x4 construction is more than enough for multi-hundred gallon tank stands. Like Darrell says, design and construction are really more important than materials (within reason of course) on tank stands. Just take a look at the construction of stands at Petco for example. Be sure that the load is carried by butt jointed wood and not screws or glue, and you should be fine

OK, good news and bad news. If you saw my thread in the Equipment forum, you will know that once I got the Solaris going it was kind of loud. Well, once I fired up the pumps and skimmer, it was clear I could not have the tank where I was planning. Since it is now "banished" to the family room, I'm keeping the Solaris.

Here are shots of the whole setup. The bottom is my "wet" section, with the sump and ATO holding tank. It is pretty small, almost a gallon, but was about all I could still fit. I have a small fan to keep the humidity down, and I have a small stick-on LED light to see my way around. Not sure of the color temp :-).

The top section of the stand has all of my electrical. The 4 switch box controls my return pump, heater, skimmer and cabinet fans. This section also has a fan to keep the temps down. The VorTech and Solaris are not controlled by the switchbox. I plan to install a face plate over this section to mount the VorTech control box, and I will put a cable retainer on door so that it can serve as a small shelf.

I guess it is time to continue in the "Member Tank" section. I was hoping to get my live rock in this weekend, but I'm just now adding the salt, and probably won't have time tomorrow

post-3179-141867741727_thumb.jpg

post-3179-141867741729_thumb.jpg

post-3179-141867741732_thumb.jpg

post-3179-141867741733_thumb.jpg

post-3179-141867741734_thumb.jpg

sorry to hear about the banishment. I am always dissapointed in where I can place my tank. I just want to put it in the middle of the room so I can see from all angles. But wife isn't down for that...(wife)(threaten)(flame)

I know what you mean :-).

On the positive side, I should never have a heat problem, since the room it is in runs about 62 in the winter, and only the high 60s in the summer. In fact, I may need to get a bigger (or an additional) heater, the 50W I put in still hasn't raised the temp out of the 60s (though the tap water is running very cold right now, about 50 or so).

-Darrell