I have a Mantis shrimp

Jay

Just spotted him. I added some fresh liverock couple weeks ago. Must have come in then.

BTW...I also have a fresh new batch of pods that hatched since I added the new rock. I had read that adding fresh from the ocean liverock every so often would help my tank so I aquired some new rock from Isaak at Seahorse. I think I will get some more as my liverock has been in my system for 7 years.

The mantis shrimp is only about an inch long I think so I wont worry about him unless I see my snails start go missing. (threaten)

Jay

I will try to get a picture of him but he pretty much stays in his hole. At least its where I can see him.

It all depends what kind it is if it stays small or not(scary) Actually they are fun to watch. I have a small one in a seperate tank and love the little guy. He or she? only eats really small snails. I just threw in a bunch of bigger ones and they are to big to break apartDOH! I feed it mysis and some small krill also so if you have a stick try puting some krill on it and moving it over the hole maybe it will come out and wack at it.

Oh I can get a picture of him. I fed him a big silverside today. I still havent seen his whole body yet as he keeps his backside in the hole but I saw over inch and the tail still was hidden so he must be big. Yep he is a colorful one. I betcha this sucker is responsible for my clownfishes bugeye that I noticed the day before I saw the shrimp.

How do I catch that sucker? I would like to bannish him to the sump if I could get him out.

Jay

I will get a picture in the next day or 2. My father is comming to town so it may be a few days as I will be busy.

Best way to get it out is just pull the rock out if you can. Otherwise trapping it is really hard I think as you said it does not come out of the rock very much. If you can get the rock out you can put it in a bucket and see if it will come out on its own or coax it out with RO water. There are a few other ways but can not remeber right now. You can also look on RC in the Mantis Shrimp forum as they will tell you every humane way possible to get it out of there.