Does anyone here BBQ/Smoke?

JeffP

Specifically, on one of the best grills around, the Traeger?

I'm going to be doing my first pulled pork butt this weekend(drooler) - and am nervous about messing it up! Does anyone have tips on this? How long should a ~10lb butt stay on for? I'm thinking about 15 hours @ 225 would be good, but of course i'd keep the meat on there until it's around 190.

Help?

The most important par is the brine. Make sure your salt and sugar levels are correct so you can take full advantage of the brine. If your using the traeger brand brines then just follow the instructions to the "t". Make a killer bbq sauce with some wild turkey burbon or jack daniels. Both of these go so good with smokey meats!! As far as time... well thats to hard to say to many variables. Favorite quote of every french culinary instructor I ever had when asked how long to cook something was "cook it until its done!!!!!" So basically until it is meltingly tender. You want it to shred easily but not completely fall apart on the grill. Try to save some of the drippings too for the bbq sauce. Whatever you do do not cut into it for at least 20 mintues after you remover it from the grill. If you doo all those yummy juices will be all over the cutting board and not in the meat where they belong. PM me if you want some brine or bbq sauce recipes. HTH

I used a traeger from about 86 till a couple of years ago. It had the separate tall box for the smoker on the grill. I never brined meat unless I was making jerky, or Salmon. I did use rubs on Prime rib roasts and pork. If you use salt at all, don't use any with the iodine in it. I always used Kosher salts in my rub. If you or a neighbor has any "thyme" throw it on the grill for a little more flavor. I also liked the lighter woods, apple. alder mix. You realize that we want a large taste when done. If anyone has had good experience with brine and pork I would like to try it:)

Yeah, I've only so far brined jerky, but haven't figured out a good blend yet. I generally only rub my meat before smoking it, and yes - Kosher is hte only way to go as it helps form a nice crust in my experience.

I plan on using either apple or cherry for the pork butt (or a blend thereof. )- but like the tougher woods for beef, like mesquite or hickory. :) Also - All traeger pellets are alder based, a with the other wood mixed in. I wish I knew that before I stocked up on a bunch, as I would rather have the pure wood from some of the types rather than a blend :(

So does cooking it at 225 (or the smoke level on the digital controller) sound like the best place? And should I assume ~1.5 hours per pound? With keeping an eye on it all the time however.

Timing in the smoker I find differs with out side temp also. Is it sitting in the sun, or wind, over a cool night? At least this had an impact I would think that would be good what you said. I'm just more of a prime rib guy. Interior temp 142. When I cook pork I cook till it's white, no pink. I have a large smoker now. Well actually I have 2, One is stainless. I still use the pellet's and wood chips together. I like the water in the bottom that I spice up with oranges, Cinnamon when I do pork. I smoke at the lowest I can for as long as I can. I'm getting really hungry!!!!! Just get it started and I'll help check on it(laugh)

We use a dry rub and let it sit over night in the frig. Then the next day put it in smoker. We use apple wood or hickory wood chunks for pork. Low and slow at 200 to 225 degrees for about 15 to 18 hours depending on size. In the last hour wrap in foil so it seals in the juices, and add whole made bbq sauce. Then take it out let it rest.

One thing it one side has lots of fat you might want to trim some of it off before smoking.

What kind of jerky do you like?

I also love to smoke brisket,duck,salmon,ribs,chicken,turkey.

For my jerkey I either use a bottom round or if carna asada is on sale I use that. I then use a cure and add tons of flavor. There is a website that sells the cure by the bucket. And its not that expensive.

Really wish there was a good meet shop around where you could buy a side of beef at a great price....

My approach (in my Traeger-using opinion)...

1) Dry rub

2) Sear on high on the grill (as hot as you can get the Traeger)

3) Turn grill on smoke and spritz with watered down juice (apple, pineapple, etc.) every 30 minutes until its done (to keep it very moist)

According to the USDA pork is "safe" once it reaches 160. I wouldn't over-cook it.

I like the hickory on just about any meat, even pork.

I'm a huge fan of the Traeger and have been using one for about 8 years.

I brine becasue it garuntee's moist meat with lots of flavor. You choose the flavors you wish to impart when making the brine. If you just want to highlight the meat then just do a basic brine with only salt, sugar, and pepper. The brine you use for jerky is a little different then the one you would use hear. Same principles, different ratios. As far as cooking temp.. definitely want to take it well over 160 but it sounds like you already know that. low and slow is the best rule of thumb for meltingly tender juicy meats. At any rate if you don't feel like going through the trouble of brining(believe me it is worth the trouble) I would at least rub it down and let it sit overnight. Thats just my 2 cents.

yeah, pork is safe at 160 - but the point of bringing it up higher is to break down the connective tissue, just like a brisket. I eat beef rare, but a brisket I take up to 190 before taking it off the smoker, and it's always super moist, tender and delicious!

I'll likely be putting the butt on in the late evening, and smoke it overnight so it's ready to pull by 2 or 3 pm, including rest time.

As far as what kind of jerky I like? The kind that goes in my mouth. :D

Brining works well depending on what your doing' date=' we do it for thanksgiving with the turkey, its the moistest best tasting turkey you can get.[/quote']

I think i'll be doing a turkey breast this thanksgiving, and I'll try the brine on that for sure.

Exactly not to much oil. Make sure you do it outdoors away from flammable materials. I prefer to do smaller birds to lessen the chance of overflow. I also would insist on brining to garuntee moist and flavorful meat. Get a nice glove to protect yourslef and very very very slowly lower the bird into the oil. Here are some more safety tips http://www.ul.com/consumers/turkeys.html