UV sterlizers

kfishlips

Hello all

I have A question about UV sterilizers good or bad for reef tanks ? I have A current usa 40 watt that came with tank, (135 gal) the guy I bought it from said he ran it only 1-2 hours A week, another forum site say's never to use A UV on A reef tank. my tank is now 6 weeks after cycle no corals. and I know to go slow but after cycle, (two weeks) bought 3 small damsels, and would like to know about UV before I start buying any corals, and do you think 8 weeks after cycle is ok ? all water test great I have two 250 MH HQI and two VHO 72 inch 160 watt lights 20 gal fuge 20 gal sump 220 gal skimmer over 100 pounds live rock over 100 pounds live sand the rock is starting to turn A cool green and pinkish color

Fishlips

I think that a healthy reef can be maintained with or without a UV sterilizer. I have a 36w that I use on my 72 gallon bowfront, and none of my fish have disease and the water is crystal clear. About a month ago a friend needed to borrow it because she had a problem with ich and I have seen no side effects to not having it. I ran mine 24/7, and when I get it back I will run it for about a month after I add anything new (thats after quarantine too). I think that it is good for keeping illness and parasites out of the tank and if they are in the tank, from reproducing so quickly. I have heard that it kills beneficial bacteria as well and, that makes sense, but there is so much bacteria in a healthy reef, that killing some is fine. You will find out when you get a cyano outbreak....

In hour case I would go ahead and and run it. Keep it running when you are adding fish, corals, inverts, equipment, whatever...

I wonder with such a new system, if it would be better to Wait a bit on the UV. I really don't know. It just seems to me that I would want the bacteria/bio levels to age. At least not 24/7 in the beginning. I am going to add ozone to the skimmer but only limited time period and same for UV. Now I can see 24/7 if there is sickness, and especially QT tank. JMO:)

I see no problem with it I havn't turned mine off since I set up my tank around 18 months ago. If I remember right and don't quote me on this, the majority of your beneficial bacteria are more stationary living on the substrate and rock. I think the concern with running the uv is more removing an extra food source(roti's, plankton, pods, etc.) for your coral while its doing its job of killing bad bacteria and protozoa. All the benefical foods can be supplemented since your uv is preventing them from reproducing. I always figured better safe than sorry so thats why I run mine 24/7. Tank is doing great all fish are healthy and coral and bright and growing. Just my 2 cents