More news regarding the state of the worlds reefs

rude944

My preliminary thoughts are' date=' can we do something as a group?[/quote']

It is so disturbing to know that the reefs are in jeopardy because of global warming. I would certainly like to see the club take part in environmental issues as this directly affects the future of the reef, as well as everything else if you get right down to it. And I don't mean participate by taking guerilla tactics like some groups. Education of the community on ways they can lessen their impact on the environment as well as helping out with clean-ups and such.

I'm sure other like-minded individuals have ideas on what we can do to help out. After all, what is the future of our hobby if all the wild reefs have been decimated? Okay, yes... aquaculture. But do we really want to see things progress to that point? Course, then again... it should. So we lessen our impact on the wild reefs.

Stacy

Yes, aquaculture is always top of my list. Especially when it comes to the stock that I buy. Aquaculture is hardier and also tends to be in better shape at the LFS then anything wild. The cultured acro's also tend to maintain and have better colors in the end anyway. Fish on the other hand tend to be hit and miss. It's hard to buy aquaculture fish, as there are just too few species.

How come there are no aquaculture operations in the carribean (sp?)? I want to see some of these corals that we are not seeing in LFS simply because they cannot be removed from the ocean. I read that the law around this leaves a loophole for aquaculture, if the ocean floor is leased. Someone could then buy a plot of land (water) and frag off of larger pieces for aquaculture, lessening impact on the reef, and sustaining diversity with the hobbyest. If someone has the startup capital, I want to move to the Florida Keys!

Someone could then buy a plot of land (water) and frag off of larger pieces for aquaculture' date=' lessening impact on the reef, and sustaining diversity with the hobbyest. If someone has the startup capital, I want to move to the Florida Keys![/quote']

And there's the next step for the club! Think Kruxy would approve the funds?

Stacy