Anyone else Steelhead fish?

Jay

I do. Quite a bit, although I'm truly a trout fly-fisherman. I have an 8 weight I use for steelies, but I don't really use it as much as I'd like to.. I'm drifting the Deschutes this weekend in fact from Warm Springs to Trout Creek for redsides. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with multiple expensive hobbies.

I just went for the first time last weekend. My wife got a one-day guided trip on the Deschutes from a charity auction. I've never fly fished prior to this, but a buddy of mine that went too has been into it pretty heavy for about a year now. We put in a Beavertail and floated down...unfortunately due to my schedule we had to go on a Sunday so it was a bit of a mob scene:( I really enjoyed the experience overall, but later in the day when I was trying to do the "snap-T" cast on a spay rod I was about ready to snap the pole over my knee and chuck it down river:p I will definitely go again, but I'll stick with trout fly/nymphing for now...it would be nice to feel like I actually had a *chance* of getting a bite lol. BTW we check with a ranger as we were driving out and there were only 3 steelhead landed the whole day from the stretch of river we were on...and they were all w/ gear, so on top of being a total noob I just didnt have a chance to begin with:(