How often do you feed?

rsteckly

Hay Toad. Very broad question. Would be better if you listed what you have. Different fish have different requirements. From not feeding them to the sky is the limit. A lot of us make our own "batches" tailored to what we have. The most important in feeding is not over doing it. :)

WELL, If I haven't already done this WELCOME TOAD. this IS A GOOD THING. I must have forgotten my manners for A moment. I don't feed on a consistent cycle. I feed as much fresh as possible. I have a few deals with some of the butchers on fish parts. Shrimp is always a good thing I use along with Norri and some Cyclops-ez frozen, not powder. I will use macro algae from the fuge for the tangs on occasion. Manbrin goby eats the pods that are in the tank. That's it from me

Feeding can be a tricky subject. I was told when I started this hobby to feed only as much as they could eat in 2 mins. I don't know about the rest of you but my fish and shrimp never seem to to get full. It doesn't seem to matter how much food I put in it all gets eatin in a matter of seconds. I feed twice a day once for the fish and shrimp and once for the corals. The fish get pe mysis, and the corals get frozen cyclop-eeze and coral frenzy. The fish also love the coral food as well and are always fat and happy. I also feed julian sprungs sea veggies about once a week mainly for the tangs, but all the fish enjoy it, shrimp too!!. As far as quantites goes.... I just try to make sure all the fish have a nice bulging belly. I used to enrich all my food with selco, vitamin c and a couple of other goodies, but have recent;y changed my view on enrichment and no longer enrich frozen foods. After reading and research I concluded that not enough enrichments actually soak into the food to make it cost effective and worthwhile. So now at least every other sunday, usually every sunday, I pick up some live adult brine shrimp and enrich them with a ton of different goodies for a minimum of 12 hours and feed the enriched live brine. I do just to ensure the fish get a varied diet of nutrients that aren't in the frozen and dreid foods I feed. Probably a little bit overkill, but I really love my pets!! IME fish have always been alot harder to keep then corals. I believe this is largely due to a diet that is lacking in the proper nutrients. I believe it is our responsibility as pet owners to provide our pets with a proper diet as they would recieve if they were still swimming about the reef. I'm sure all of you have experienced the follwing scenario: You bring home a new fish to add to your tank, you quarentine for the proper time, treat with hypo salanity, and copper. Fish is healthy no signs of parasites its been 6 weeks you add the new fish to your display after slowly reraising the salanity to equal that of the display. You do everything by the books. You add the fish keep the lights off for a day to lessen stress, wake up the next morning and the fish has ick!!! My best success treating ick has been to feed out the enriched live adult brine. Needless to say I no longer quarentine fish. It is my personal belief that most quarentines are much more stressfull than adding the fish directly to the established tank. I don't know about the rest of you, but ime the majority of ppl that see my reef tank (other than other reefers) enojoy the fish and talk about them way more than say my LE corals I have worked to hard to get. Hehe go figure. I always say the corals are for my enjoyment and the fish are there for everyone else. Just another reason to make sure all those fish are fat, happy, and healthy. So in conclusion I believe the fish's diet to be very important to the fishes health.