2x 250w Electronic Ballasts

downhill_biker

I saw a big increase in output when I moved from my magnetic ballasts (with caps that were in pretty rough shape) to my dual Galaxy. If you're planning on running SE bulbs, an electronic ballast is good stuff. For DE HQI, I'd go magnetic (SLS Blue Wave FTW) since electronic ballasts have been known to cause some flicker on DE bulbs.

Well I have HQI bulbs' date=' so I guess I am open to magnetic or electronic ballasts. let me know what you have of either...[/quote']

Please explain "HQI" bulbs. If you are running radiums then yes. If any other bulb, they are being overdriven. I am asking for an explanation in case there is something new I haven't seen(scratch)

I know less about the bulbs and ballasts than you do, I just have them, and know how to turn them on. I have the odyssea fixture with odyssea bubls and ballasts. they are DE bubls, as I understand it that is also called HQI. There are two types of bulbs commonly used DE (HQI) and Mogul (Socket, SE).

So my bulbs are being overdriven? Is that good or bad? Sounds like I dont need a more powerful ballast if they are already being overdriven. Someone please explain...

I have done a lot of research today, and seems that the odyssea ballasts are underdriving the bulbs. Several people have hooked them up to a kill a watt meter and they only put out between 160-170 watts each. I also found that the PAR difference in bulbs is HUGE and different between each ballast, using the same bulb. Looks like if I upgrade it will give me almost 100w more power each, and upgrading bulbs will take my PAR from around 250 to 600ish depending on which bulb i choose.

There is a TON of info out there on this, but it is hard to find. I posted on RC and got a few responses with links that helped a lot. I hate having to spend this much money. Just kinda frustrating when you find out that you dont have what you thought you had.

You should also notice a big difference simply switching from those odysee ballasts to a more reputible ballast such as PFO or Sunlight. Doesn't have to be electronic to improve you lighting drastically if you are wanting to save some coin over the Icecaps.

Just a thought. I use all PFO magnetic ballasts and have been very pleased.

Garrett