Re-plumbing tank. PVC, or vinyl?

AquaticEngineer

As of right now my tank is hard plumbed with pvc and quick disconnects. I'm going to be adding in a larger volume pump that will run into a SCWD valve and then up to the tank.

I was just curious what others' opinions on whether hard plumbing it all in, or just running vinyl tube from the pump, to the scwd, then to the tank is better? Worse?

I know this is kinda hard to give an opinion on with out seeing pictures of the current plumbing setup, but feel free to speculate and chime in :D I'll try and get some photos up soon.

on the SCWD (SQUID) I used soft. It has the nipple on all three of the connections, so you can clamp it. DO NOT OVER CLAMP THEM!!!!! They will crack. I haven't heard of anyone doing hard plumming to it. EVEN IF YOU COULD DO IT I WOULD NOT. If needed removed for cleaning, declogging or what ever it would be a total disaster. In wich case i would have to rap it in C-4 and blow it up. Now, on adding a larger pump. I will quess it isn't that large if it's going on a 15 gal. If ever going to a bigger system with it, it can be modded for more flow. :)

Here are charts comparing friction loss. This may help you with your desicion. (I guess you really can find anything on the internet)

Please note that the one for vinyl is inches lost per 10 ft and the one for PVC is ft lost per 100 ft. There are 12in per foot

attachment.php?attachmentid=2877&d=1219268560

attachment.php?attachmentid=2878&stc=1&d=1219269059

post-793-141867740088_thumb.jpg

post-793-14186774009_thumb.jpg

I like hose. Only clean hose though, those dirty hose can cause problems.

Pipe actually gets gunky and has build up. If you've ever torn down a tank that has been running for awhile you know what I'm talking about. I try to clean my hoses every so often and replace them completely every couple of years.

JMO

I use hose a bit smaller then the barb fitting and heat the hose so it slips over, then I don't use a clamp at all. There is no way to pull the hose off, ever, you have to cut it. Works for what I do.

I used to use the type of clamp you would use on a garden hose, plastic clamp with two screws, but I just kinda got lazy and really don't see the need now.

JMO