Sailfin Mollies

defigart

Hey everyone,

I am starting to think about what fish I want in my 72 Bowfront. I was thinking that I might get a pair of Sailfin Mollies and aclimate them to salt water. I love how these fish look, and they are pretty inexpensive.

Two of the three species, can be found in brackish and marine environements in nature.

Anyone know if they are reef safe?

They definately are reef safe! All they do is eat the food you put in the tank and the algae off the glass and rock. They definately produce more waste than do most saltware fish though. I swear those things crapped more than my roomate does! I had two of them in my 90g for the longest time. Actually started with 3 but one jumped. The others kept having little babies all over the place. Some would make it down to the sump and when I moved the tank 11 months after setting it up, I found 3 full gown mollies in my sump. This is long after their parents had been captured and traded in at a local fish store. Kinda funny how fish like these can simply pop out a school of babies and feed all the other fish in the tank.

It was pretty cool though to see a few of those babies make it for so long in my sump!

Garrett