controllers?

mister crabs

SO I am purchasing a controller here in two weeks and dont know which one. either the

reefkeeper2 or the aquacontroller jr. anyone here use either ? which do you reccomend? The Acjr has the DC8 for controllable outlets and the reefkeeper has the outlets built in. both have the temp probe and lighting controls. both act as wavemakers. reefkeeper2 claims to have "softstart" to be easier on pumps. does either do ATO? If not I will purchase an JBJ ATO at the same time. just need a little personal experiences to help me make up my mind. (scratch)(scratch)(scratch)

heres the link for the RK2:http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~~action~view~idProduct~DA1111~idCategory~FITEMOMI~category~Digital_Aquatics_ReefKeeper_2_Controller_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Testing_Equipment_Monitor_Equipment_Multi_Item_Monitors___Controllers~vendor~.html

and for the acjr. :http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~NS1165~idCategory~FITEMOMI~category~Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies-Testing_Equipment-Monitor_Equipment-Multi_Item_Monitors___Controllers~vendor~.html

all help is appreciated! (rock2)(rock2)

I went with the AquaController Jr. I liked the expandability, particularly the Tunze control module (AquaSurf). If I later decided to upgrade to a more versatile ACIII, I could still use my expansion modules. I bought the ACjr with the serial port so I could connect it to my computer and use it to control my ATO.

Connecting it up to the computer and ATO turned out to be a real pain. Since it uses an RS-232 port for communication (rather than USB) I had to buy a PCI serial card for my PC, plus the special cable and serial isolator from Neptune Systems. When building my ATO, I found out that you have to open up the serial cable connector, strip all the unused wires and check continuity with an ohmmeter from each pin to wire to find the correct wires -- then you have to break out those wires. A big pain, and not for the faint of heart. It seems to me if Neptune Systems is going to sell you a serial cable, it should have those pins broken out already... or at least have all the pins connected so you could break them out easily from the connector.

I'm also disappointed that the ACjr limits you to 40 program lines. I'm running my ATO, 3 Tunzes, my lights, fan, heater and kalk reactor and I've already run out of program space. I can't add any more expansions (like the moonlight controller) because I don't have the available program space. The 40 line limit isn't mentioned *anywhere* I could find, I had to go to the support forum on RC.

My last complaint is that the DC-8 (the 8-port power module) I ended up with was an older version that uses triacs to control the electric flow to each port. These triacs can allow small amounts of current to 'leak' even when turned off -- enough current from very low power devices to continue running... low power devices like, say, an Aqualifter pump that is delivering ATO water to the tank DOH! The newer versions of the DC-8 (serial number 9000 and above IIRC) are using relays on ports number 4 and 8, so low power devices can be connect there and be sure that off *is* off.

Aside from those gripes (and they seem a lot bigger now than they did at the time), I *really* like the AquaController. And to be perfectly honest, I probably should have just gone with the ACIII -- it is much more expandable (100 program lines) and connectivity is much easier (no serial port, uses ethernet with an internal web server). It's really the model intended for the tasks I have the ACjr doing. I'll probably upgrade when I go to a bigger tank.

If you are looking for a basic controller to run your lights, temp (heater/chiller/fans), and watch your pH I think an ACjr would work well for you. The ACjr + DC-8 package is a screaming deal. However, if you are looking for something you can hook up to your computer, run more complex programs, SMS/Email you when things go non-linear or have better connectability (ATO, water sensors, multiple pH and ORP monitors, Ca or Kalk reactor control) I'd go for the ACIII.

I've never used the ReefKeeper controllers, but iirc there is a new superduper one coming out soon. If you decide on the RK, it might be worth waiting a bit until the new one comes out and the market is flooded with used ones from all the upgraders.

Have a AC Jr, nothing bad to say, controls my Heating, chilling, cooling (fans), cal reactor, kalk, refugium, lights, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff, as a side note I just run a JBJ ATO unit for top off, works great, no complaints. Easy to program and never had any issues. For the price its a great unit.

I bought the Aqua controller III in Feb, so far everything has worked very well and have added to it (as $ permits). I got the III because or the ethernet hookup and the expandability of the unit, also have the software program. I have a dyn.dns address and can moniter, access and modify the programs via the internet when traveling also has the email alarm if things go south. The support has been very good from Neptune and you can find most info quickly on RC

Be Prepared! Your tank may not be as perfect as you think mine certainly was NOT I am now the proud owner of 2 PH probes and a Hanna ph meter as I could not believe the PH readings I was getting when I hooked up the controller

• Like 1

Check out the specs On marine depot or neptunes website I think you can hook up more equip in like the additional modules for wet floor sensor,etc. I remember reading some of the add ons and they say "aqua 3 and pro" but im not sure. You may want to add modules in the future

yeah.... I looked at that site and it kind of boggled the mind with all the info. I am looking to control lights, fans, moonlights, wavemaker feature, PH probe......and be able to adjust the settings via a computer rather than the interface built in. Basically I am looking to automate my system as much as possible without going overboard on technical stuff. The ACIII seems to have alot of feature that I dont forsee using anytime soon.

Any idea when the new controllers are due out so i can start looking for a used one?