LOOKING FOR INPUT FOR BARE BOTTON 75 GAL

Kevinmc

I am looking for input on starting a 75 Gallon bare bottom tank. I will be on vacation next week and have been entertaining the idea of a bare bottom tank with blown glass in for deco rather then live rock. I will be in Newport for the week and may pick up some glass items that are full of color. If I can spare the time I may go to the glass blowing shop in Lincoln City and try my hand at blowing glass myself, as the sign reads “Blow Your Own Glass Balls”.

I am kind ripping off the idea from the Oregon Coast Aquarium, as they have one in there new exhibit area that looked out of this word with a nice fat lion fish that appears to be about the size of your hand.

This idea is not a PITA alert.....LOL. I understand that “sharp” glass and fish don’t mix; however, I will inform the shop as to what I will be doing with it so I get the best possible deal for my new tank.

Just looking for input to do the right thing the first time, it won’t be until late August.

I also am wondering about upkeep on bare bottom tanks. It would be nice to hear from hobbyists that have bare bottoms tanks. I have read up on bare bottom tanks already, but have wondered what one would use for a cleaner crew in the kind of application.

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin I have a 75 barebottom, formerly a 155 bare bottom, give me a pm and I can throw you my number, happy to give ideas, also note that in the members section I have a detail of how my bare bottom is plumbed showing DSB. Anyways, feel free to contact me.

Thanks Guy's and Brandy, keep it coming. Well, I have to say, it's nice to have a wife that loves the fish,.....so, the tanks are hers.....LOL That is the way you do this tank thing...make it hers....LOL.

Great information, please keep it coming.

Thanks

Kevin

I wonder how the fish will react to this type of environment. They will be deprived of all of their normal visual references and apparently will have no hiding places or safe place where they can rest and not feel threatened. Will they be disoriented and skittish?