Mystery deaths

Michael7979

We started a 11g Via-Aqua tank for the wife about 1 1/2 months ago. Cycled it with old water and some rock from my "holding system" tank. Keep a few damsels in there until she found the fish she wanted.

So last week we found 3 Marginate damsels. Put them in and removed the other damsels and all was good.

Until today........ woke up to find all 3 dead!!

Give me some ideas why???? Maybe I'm forgetting something.

Is there a heater? Mabey it stuck in the on position. Happened to me once and my tank was 88 degrees before I noticed it. No more heaters for me....that was before I had halides and now the problem is keeping it under 81 most of the time.

Jay

I'll will have to take new test readings but they were acceptable just a few days ago.

No heater and no problems with keeping it at 75-78 degrees.

Starting to think something got into the tank........ some form of spray or something.

Too much flucuation in temp is hard on fish for sure but those damsels are pretty hardy fish. What ones were they? The domino or convict or blue with yellow tail? I had a domino damsel that grew really big and was the biggest bully. He died durring transport from moses lake. His bag was touching the heat pack in the box. Not bad to only lose one fish and 1 starfish moving from moses lake n december 300 miles in the back of my pickup going 75. What a pain in the rear that move was. I stored my livestock at seahorse aquarium for a month while my tank cycled from the move. Thanks again Woody for letting me use 1 of your big sections in your tank to keep them.

Have you painted inside your house? I bleached my corals and caused infections on all my lps corals last year after painting my liveingroom without turning off my skimmer. Man did that day suck...running all over portland looking for 55 gallon drums and buying premade saltwater to do a emergency 100% water change 120 gallons. Yep sucked bigtime.

Jay

Hmm what about chlorine or chloramines? Or dissolved oxygen? Seems these two are often overlooked. Alot can happen in a couple of days espically with ammonia and nitrite. I would double check those params before anything. Could just as easily have been where and how the fish made it to your tank from the ocean.