Reef Aquariums Are Cheap! A minor rant

Algae

Here is what I spent in the last month:

Fuel pump replacement: $930.00. They used to be $20.00 and take 1/2 hour to replace if you were slow (then again they didn't have to drop the rear axle!).

Replace plasma TV $1400.00 (broke today) 2 years old. second one replaced. Remember the $200.00 TV that would last for 10years!

Addition to house $70,000. (not done yet) $3,000 for, as yet, unapproved plans.

$4+ gas.

By comparison my reef system is pretty reasonable (and reliable).

I know I'm getting older, but these prices are outrageous for shoddily built junk.

Reefing is sompthing we love and hard to give a rational for otherwise I feel !!

Corserning the economy--after a new presidential candidates first year things could suddenly look good.

Consider the stock market where fears and rumors of disasters drive the market WORSE than if the disaster actually happened and the full price calculated and dealt with at the time the product was sold !!

If you look for doom you can get to the y2K /911 conspiracy end of the spectrum where you wonder why civilization has not blown itself up !!!

Not to get too religious But I believe god is in control and I try to choose to try to think posative even though I have depression !!

I am in an occupation dealing with aerospace type work- so my job outlook seems bleak if viewed that way yet it seems to be going ok maybe even picking up non-boeing speed !!

:-)

Paul

I think (and rightly hope) that our social and economy structure is in for a big change! The days of wastefulness is hopefully over. I have seen 15 suburbans for sale is just the past few days. I hope that people start realizing how we as humans can change our consumption! As for the reef tanks, I see it as a means of conservation. Who knows how long the reefs of the world can survive! I don't think my tank costs me that much to run monthly, but if my kids (and maybe one day) my grandkids are able to enjoy a little slice of the reef, then it is worth it!

Kris

You know I just finished a fish biology class and the textbook discouraged reefkeeping. In 1989, live rock was removed from Florida Keys alone at a rate of 3 tons/day to support the hobby. Corals in aquaria have a mortality rate of higher than 98%... I think fish mortality about the same. I don't know how one-sided these statistics are, or how much they have changed since then. The text then presented using fake corals, and licensed captive breeding programs as a possible solution. It's interesting that its now possible to set up a reef tank using all dead rock, aquacultured corals and fish.

I feel your pain; things are going to start to get easier in the months to come. We have a few opportunities to reduce the cost of ordering monthly supplies in bulk. This is only one of many areas that I will address with our new Board of Directors, as I plan to finalize the selection for board positions in the next week or so. I would like to place the right person in the most fitting position as we all need to work as a team. In the near future we can cut costs and we will be able to purchase in bulk. This will be one of our topics to cover, as well as to reorganize our Tanks for Teachers Program as I will be looking to purchase for this program in bulk as well.

Please take a minute or two and visit a new thread that I posted today. I welcome your thoughts, ideas, and concerns as well as input on our club; your input will make our club better, but, you need to use your voice to be heard.

I will be needing help with our club, so even though you may not be a board member, your ideas are still just as important to me. You may not have had the time to devote or interest in a board position, but you still are needed to help in our club.

Thank you in advance

Kevin