Ambient Light Photo?

Algae

I have been pondering the idea of removing some specimens from my display and placing them inside a 20gal. that is outside to take images during an overcast day to minimize refection. The main purpose would be to eliminate flash and hit a good EV. (plus better glass).

I am not asking for a reply to the logistics and the merit , but to address the feasibility.

Also, has anyone seen any cheap 4X5 digital backs?

Thank You

I'm gonna talk about merit; it's my reply after all ;)

I've thought about shooting corals in a special isolation tank, too. The main benefits I see are being able to get closer to the subject and control of light. Personally, I think you'd be better off with a couple of strobes in lightboxes or bounced off reflectors than you would be relying on ambient natural light. You'd have a lot more control over exposure, plus keeping the subject at a comfortable temperature would be a lot easier inside near electricity.

If you can solve the temperature stability issue outside, I guess it's feasible -- I just don't think you buy yourself anything by shooting outside.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was thinking water temp. A small volume of water will change temp pretty quickly; it might be worth doing a couple of dry runs (so to speak) to see if there is a enough of a change to be harmful. You might also try having some white foamcore and/or crumpled-foil-covered foamcore available as DIY reflectors. Even on an overcast day I think you might have a hard time getting the light everywhere you want it, and they'd help.

I do like the idea of shooting fish and coral in B&W; be sure to post up some of your shots, I'd really enjoy seeing 'em.

While I've got you there. I've got a bowfront. If I ever get serious about shooting it, is there any special reflective qualities that I have to look out for with a bowfront that you are aware of? I do have the capability to use a remote strobe on my digital camera.