Faux Closed Loop

defigart

I am going to be setting up a 72 Gallon Bowfront. I thought about pvc to create somewhat of a closed loop for the return. I would use 3/4" or 1" PVC around the tank, and have several ( 6, 8 or 10) places for it to "vent" to the tank.

The plan is still in my head, so I can't actually show you, yet.

Has anyone tried this before?

I set up something like that. I took a mag five and 1/2 pvc and created a closed loop system. I have the intake about mid way down the tank and the output is a long bar across the bottom (backside) of the tank. I drilled several holes in the bar and run it 12 on and 12 hours off. I probably get about 150 gph with the head loss.

Kris

When I had my 90 running I had a Uno Tarpon for the return. After setting it up there was way to much flow coming from a single head so made a manifold that went from one to four once it hit the tank. I think it worked great and did not need to turn the pump down like I did when it was a single. I used 3/4 for the return with lock line on all the ends so it could be turned anyway that I wanted.

great plan

still what is your goal? Do you need high random sps type flow? If so, maybe a mag 7 and a scwd would randomize it a bit. You could put in two spray bars and that would create some wave like action in the tank.

Might not be good if you have a fuge in the sump. Too much flow down there.

• 1 month later...

I got all of the in tank part done today. Just need to paint them, and add the pump and point the outlets where i want them. I currently have 6 outlets, but may add 2 more, one on each "diagnol", later.

Any suggestions as to painting them?

post-793-141867739538_thumb.jpg

post-793-141867739541_thumb.jpg

post-793-141867739544_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After some engineering setbacks, I have temporarily set up my pump in a sump. Again this is temporary, and the sump it will be in will have baffles to rid the water of bubbles.

One problem I am having now is that the drains from my overflow shake fairly violently when water is running through them. Any ideas on how to prevent this.

I have a short video of this but YouTube is "under maintenance".

post-793-141867739632_thumb.jpg

post-793-141867739634_thumb.jpg