Help With Freshwater Dip

Kevinmc

(scratch) I am looking to pruchase several fish that will need a full treatment and then be placed in QT for 6-8 week until they are plump and healthy.

I have attempted to do freshwater dips in the past, and the fish suffered after this treatment. Is it necessary to dip all new fish coming into your saltwater fish tank?

How do you do your freshwater dip, and when do you do it ?

Thanks

Kevin

I've always done a fw dip kind of as a last resort thing. Some people swear by dipping any and everything that goes into thier tank. Some people swear by quarentining their fish for extended periods. Niether of these will gaurantee 100% survival rate. I usually only fw dip if the fish has parasites and all other options(medication) have failed. This has worked well for me, I have lost very few fish. Would you go to the doctor if you were well? I guess I view doing a fw dip in the same way. If the fish appears healthy with no visible signs of parasites then why treat it for them. FW dips are extremely stressful for fish and if you do do one at least buffer the ph and make sure it matches the ph of your tank.