Mixed Reef?

Miniwhinny

I have a question. I have a 29 gallon BB nano that has softies, LPS, SPS and a clam. I was reading a post in TRT's BB section and it's got me wondering...This is a new tank at 4 months...for long term success is it okay to have such a mixed reef or because of toxic warfare should I set up different tanks? If I should have different tanks then who should go with who? Clam with SPS? LPS with SPS or Softies?

SO far everyone is very happy (running a 150 HQI soon to be updated to 250) Setting up different tanks would be no probelm because I have lots of spare equipment.

Thanks for any help.

(P.S> this thread was posted on TRT a few seconds ago...by mistake lol...I thought I had PNWMAS open but I had been reading TRT and goofed! Duh DOH!)

Early on, I tried a balanced mixed reef. IME, the "chemical warfare" aspect is way overblown but the different needs in lighting and flow was a dealbreaker. In a bigger/deeper tank, it might have worked but I just couldn't meet the divergent needs of the LPS, SPS and softies in my 55. I've also heard that some (many?) softies do better in a higher nutrient level environment than SPS can handle...

Right now my rics are hiding in one back corner, shaded by a bit of black acrylic and my torch is in the other trying to stay out of the 'hurricane winds' The few mushrooms I have aren't spreading at all, my sarcophyton dried up and I had to move my leather into the nano along with the fungia and trachyphyllia.

If you can set things up so that you get strong flow for the SPS and have sheltered areas for LPS, go for it. Softies as well might be a stretch, YMMV.

EDIT: My acans are doing fine though. No idea why they're still so expensive, they grow as fast as ricordia ;)