Supplements for Nano

aqua-ed

Not sure what LPS are exactlyDOH! all these names get me(laugh) My sons nano has a torch coral in it and also a hammer and they both are growing and doing real well. Oh also has a galaxia that is doing better now than it was under a MH in his bigger tank. Other than that just a bunch of zoos and a weed.

Come to think of it do you dose your bigger tank? When I had my bigger tank I would not dose anything. Did not even run a calcium reactor. I was told by a LFS that if all the paramiters are within the limit why run a reactor? I figured it was just one more thing to go wrong. Sorry to get off topic but figured I would see what you dose for on any other tanks you have.

The hammer started off the size of a golf tee with one head. Now it has 2 heads and are the size of a golf ball. I think things grow maybe just not as fast. The galaxia is growing great to but not sure what it is considered.

Most of the same rules that apply to bigger tanks should apply to nanos, particularly the "If you don't test for it, don't supplement it" one. By testing for Ca and alk, you'll get a feel for the rate of consumption in the tank and be able to dose appropriately.

My guess is that waterchanges will be sufficient for maintaining your levels. The Torch and Hammer corals will grow, the rate will depend predominantly on feeding, light and Ca/alk levels.

I have a torch, hammer, and monti cap in my 29g nano as well as a crocea clam and I dose with a 2 part by brightwell aquatics that I picked up in redmond. I mainly am looking to keep up the trace minerals and add some calcium for the stonies.

I want to switch my salt to tropic marin reef salts and then I may not need to dose anymore. Right now I am using catalina seawater from the LFS here.