Metal Halide Par Ratings

jasonv6974

Anyone know of a site that will tell you what different par outputs there are for different bulbs wired to a PFO ballast. I am trying to figure out some new bulbs to invest in and im not sure what to go with. I have a PFO 2x250 and 3 110w vho actinics on my 75 gal. I am looking at coralvue's 12000k reeflux or aqualine's 13000k bulbs anyone have any experience with either of these?? thanks everyone

Jason

alot depends on your ballast and if its HQI or mogul. I have a 175w SE MH with a m59 magnetic PFO ballast and I bought the Aqualine 10000k which is actually 13000k on the box. I think its the same you are talking about. I have it running with 64w of true atinic PC and i think its got awesome color. really crisp white. ITs not as blue as a hamilton 14k but then again the par readings are SOOOO much higher. I think it was the second highest reading for a 175w there was behind the iwasaki. If I could have gotte the iwasaki I probably would have for the par readings but they HAVE to be run off an electronic ballast due to consistent bulb firing issues and they were by far more expensive. I compromised with the AB bulb but feel it was an excellent choice and its the same bulb i will buy in a year. so far my corals are all very happy under it. I have a hammer, torch, various zoos, mushrooms, gsp, xenia, kenya tree, devils hand leather, a crocea clam, and a purple rim monti under it and all are very happy and show growth in the month that its under it. In fact my xenia never pulsed under the PC lighting and now it does. and I can actually see the growth on the monti in just a little over a month.

I would reccomend these bulbs. www.hellolights.com had them for a great prie and they offer free shipping and its fast. hope that helps. -John