My sump

Frank

Frank,

I think the most important thing with a sump is to think about what you want it to do. I know that seams obvious, but it isn't necessarily so.

Do you want your skimmer in the sump, or outside the sump? Do you want a refugium? If so, how big? Is your return pump going to be submersible or inline? How many baffles to take out microbubbles are you going to have? What other machines are you going to have hooked up to it and where will they be?

I am sure there are things I didn't mention, that you or others may have in mind, but I think you understand what I am saying.

Frank,

I think the most important thing with a sump is to think about what you want it to do. I know that seams obvious, but it isn't necessarily so.

Do you want your skimmer in the sump, or outside the sump? Do you want a refugium? If so, how big? Is your return pump going to be submersible or inline? How many baffles to take out microbubbles are you going to have? What other machines are you going to have hooked up to it and where will they be?

I am sure there are things I didn't mention, that you or others may have in mind, but I think you understand what I am saying.

The skimmer is a in sump the is what the box on the side is for.

The refugium is on top gets water from the return on the tank it spilt with a t vale and the rest is drop in to the sump.

The return pump is inline.

I have the frist set of baffles then is flows into a box the is 8in high then into the next set of baffles the should kill all micros.

That is all that will be in the sump.

RE:Sump

Hey Frank,

I am new to this whole thing, and I don't know very much, but I will tell you something that I learned building mine from scratch.

1. Know what your overflow box will do for you.

2. Adjust it so that you will only loose minimal water in the event of a power failure.

3. Be sure that your entire unit will hold what ever overflow that you may have.

4. Build it accordingly, and so you have extra room after adding sand and rock in your refugium.

5. If possible, build your entire sump unit from a glass aquarium and divide it as you wish with plenty of extra room for your water overflow that you may have in the unforseen power failure.

6. Uses Sand, rock and micro-alge instead of bio-balls, I think they work better, it sure does for me so far.

Good luck with it, keep us posted

Thanks

Kevin