Need To I.D. A Worm

Kevinmc

I need to I.D. a worm that I found in my newly set-up tank. It is about an 1-1 1/2 " long and red with one gray end that is about 1/2-3/4 ". I have 4 flame scallops, and they seem to fight with the worm. If the worm is now a safe member of the tank I will remove him next time I see him.

Thanks

Kevin (scratch)

Well, the flame scallops see or sense that the worm is there, and chase it away from the area that the scallop is in. The scallop does it's hopping, fluddering, maybe like it is trying to eat it or something.

I hear conflicting stories about the bristleworn, in a poll, who has them? And who wants them out of their tanks? I am new to this hobby.

So, if I could, I would like to poll the question, if that is possible.

Thanks

Kevin

Yeah, except for very rare cases bristleworms are goodguys. From what I've read, the bad (coral eating) bristleworms are native to the Caribbean. If you have Pacific live rock the odds of getting one are really low.

Flame scallops are really shy, most comfortable when they find a place to hunker down, hide and filter the water for food. Honestly, unless you tank is very large and well established the long-term outlook for Flame scallops is extremely poor (starve to death in a few months). Even if your tank can support them, to be happy they'll find a place to live well out of sight. IMO, they are one of the species that should just be left in the ocean. It's too bad, since they are so pretty. Anyways, it sounds like the scallops are just getting freaked out by a bristleworm...

Thanks for your insight Andy, very good information for me to consider. You sound like you have a passion for the flame scallop. I would like to know what to feed them, I will go and get it in the morning for them. I have a beautiful tank, and I'm not just saying that.

My goal is to have a well manages and maintained tank, with an eco-system that is will be one of many to be envied. I am not a big fish guy, my love is for inverts and the eco-system, I will never be one to have a swarming tank of fish. This 90 GAL tank is in my livingroom at it looks like a show piece in my opinion. I will care for the inverts like my own children. If you have any information for me concerning the care of the flame scallops please post it, or send me a (PM) so that I might do what is best for them.

Thanks

Kevin

Thanks for your insight Andy, very good information for me to consider. You sound like you have a passion for the flame scallop. I would like to know what to feed them, I will go and get it in the morning for them. I have a beautiful tank, and I'm not just saying that.

Thanks

Kevin

I have had one in my tank now for 7 months, I shoot it with DT's about once a week. Not 100% positive this works, but apparently hasn't harmed.