Undergravel Filter and Recurc. Skimmer

Kevinmc

I am looking for information on undergravel filter and skimmer combo. Would it be possible to go from your skimmer, to your skimmer sock, then to a container of live rock for water to use as a bio filter before going into the refugium?

If so, could you then recurc. the water through pvc with a ball valve back out of the refugium and into the skimmer again, and working back through again to the sump and up through the return to be oxygenated and pushed through the undergravel filter and then into the tank?

Is that stupid, or what? (scratch)

I am wanting to try to design and build a proto to test this. I want to try to take my sump/refugium to the next level by being able to use the ball valve to single or double pass through the skimmer. I am not planning to use the undergravel filter in the entire 45 GAL. sump/refugium, just the refugium and sump return would be undergravel with pvc if possible.

Thanks

I am trying to build my first sump/refugium out of a 45 GAL. glass aquarium to pair with my 90 GAL tank.

Questions

1. Can I use and undergravel filter in the sump/refugium in the three sections. Skimmer Box, Refugium, and Return? Or only in the skimmer box and refugium, but not the return?

2. How much room do I need in my skimmer box for an external skimmer, and what else do I really need to have in that section.

3. What size do I need to make each section of this 45 GAL. sump to get the most out of it?

4. I would like to be able to recurculate back through the skimmer later when the tank gets where it needs more maintance to reduce water changes and heavy build-up in the bottom of the tank?

1. Can I use and undergravel filter in the sump/refugium in the three sections. Skimmer Box' date=' Refugium, and Return? Or only in the skimmer box and refugium, but not the return? [/quote']

I don't think the undergravel filter idea is a good one. You run the risk of rotting organics accumulating within your sandbed, the coarse gravel needed for a UG filter isn't friendly to the sandbed dwelling critters you want to keep happy, etc. etc.

2. How much room do I need in my skimmer box for an external skimmer, and what else do I really need to have in that section.

It depends on the skimmer; some are large and some are small. One approach is to decide on what skimmer you want to use, then size the sections accordingly.

3. What size do I need to make each section of this 45 GAL. sump to get the most out of it?

Again, it really depends on what you want to do -- there are many possibilities. Do you want a refugium? If so, plan at least 5 gallons for that. Will you use an auto top-off system? If not, be sure to make the return section of the sump large enough so that the pump doesn't run dry due to evaporation. Also, make sure that the sump has enough excess capacity so that it can handle the backflow from the tank in case of power failure.

4. I would like to be able to recurculate back through the skimmer later when the tank gets where it needs more maintance to reduce water changes and heavy build-up in the bottom of the tank?

Not sure I get what you are saying here...

Can you recurculate back into your skimmer? I know that they make recurc. skimmers how do they work and are they worth the money? or can you use tubing or pipe to plumb the water back into the skimmer for a more efficient method?

I am just wanting to rid myself of problems due to particulates being to consintrated to be removed in just one past through.

What about a top water oil skimmer? Can the be effective?

I am new and don't want problems, and have my wife always nagging about how much I spend and the water is not always "crystal clear".

Any good knowledge will be better then my lack of knowledge in the area.

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin,

A good place to start is with some reading. Check out this article as a good place to start. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist (by Bob Fenner) and The Reef Aquarium: Science, Art, and Technology, Vol. 3 (by Sprung & Delbeek) are both excellent books -- Sprung & Delbeeks book is expensive, but will save you big bucks in the long run.

I don't know what a "top water oil skimmer" is. Do you have a link, or can you explain what you mean?

Thanks for the help,and advise, I will read more before I go much further. What I am wanting to do is this.

1. trurn a 45 GAL glass aquarium into a sump/refugiun using an external skimmer.

2. I want a nice refugium that will do it job for all of the room that I have in the 45 GAL, and enough room for ample return sump. Aside from the skimmer, how can I divide the remaining 35-40 GALS.

If anyone has a good Idea, please post an let me hear your ideas so I can set this up this weekend.

Sorry for all of the confusing posts, I'm a newbie just wanting more then a 10 GAL sump/refugium.

Thanks

Kevin