check out the reef central TOTM

Nyles

True.... mine was featured in 2002. I turned down two other offers in 2005 and 2007. There was also a guy in Southern Oregon (George ?) that was featured about a year ago IIRC.

As for this tank....it's quite nice....although, I'm not too crazy about the river rock masonary or the light bleed from the frontal openings. I would have liked to hear more on the circulation too.

Is there any consideration for the cold water setup for a TOTM? As for the river rock I agree, there could have been better choices but its not my house. I like the skimmer spazz hooked him up with and I really like the PVC pipe spray on material.

Is there any consideration for the cold water setup for a TOTM? As for the river rock I agree' date=' there could have been better choices but its not my house. I like the skimmer spazz hooked him up with and I really like the PVC pipe spray on material.[/quote']

Yes....In 2007, I was asked twice from RC and once from reefs.org....and also recently from that small free publication....Reefscope ? or something like that. I turned all down.....it just seemed too much of a hassle to put together a presentation especially when all the info is on my site anyway. I accepted TRT's Oct totm offer since they did all the work by taking the info off my site.

It's kind of a mute point anyway since, as most of you know, I broke down all my tanks a couple of months ago to accept a contract job that is neccessitating my commuting back and forth from LA. Upon completion of this 12 -18 month project, I plan to begin again with a MUCH larger system. In the mean time....although I miss the tanks.....it's nice not worrying about their care (not to mention how much time has been freed up).

It is very cool that the 'reefing community' thinks so much of your success Steve. You must at least be honored that people would have asked you to make up presentation.

Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the future.

Can you give us any ideas of what to expect with the new tank?

I don't really like the river rock framing in the tank, but the tank is incredible. Good idea on the great foam.

A guy on RC has a plywood tank he build and the entire backwall is that great foam stuff. It looks good after the tanks been running.

It is very cool that the 'reefing community' thinks so much of your success Steve. You must at least be honored that people would have asked you to make up presentation.

Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the future.

Can you give us any ideas of what to expect with the new tank?

I do feel honored.....but, sometimes I feel that the boards focus too much of the spotlight on HUGE systems.....when most of the world is doing something a little more modest. While I think the large systems should be occassionally showcased, I feel that showcasing well done small systems is of more value to many more reefers. I do feel that my small cold system is worthy of an article since it is related...but unique. That's why I added a section to my website and allowed TRT to showcase it....but, I'm far too lazy to do much more work past what I've already done for those other publications.

My plans for the new system are something along the lines of a tank that is 10' X 8' X 4'.....with circulation mostly provided through built-in waveboxes or surges.... and rely less upon closed loops. I also want to nearly eliminate piping. My old system had WAY too much plumbing.....the amount of crap that was encrusted in those pipes was disgusting....not to mention all the reduced pipe diameters from the hardening of the arteries. I also want to reduce energy consumption with more stategically placed lighting and fewer pumps. Look for it in 2009.

Surges are very cool, I am looking at doing a couple for my next system when I can get it in wall, the key there is reduction of water bubbles and salt creep on lighting, I would guess the closer you get the device holding the water the less bubbles and creep, but in turn less velocity. My current tank was all about electrical use, my next one will be as well, however for a tank that size you would have to be pretty creative and I think a combo of wave box and surges would be adequate. If you think about it the ocean where reefs are have water moving quite like that. It would probably be more natural than the CLS that most of us have.

I have not been able to set up my new 220. I have started doing concrete on the back and sides. I'm afraid it will a long Wait before were settle and setup. I plan on doing a LOT more home work.

I have seen some incredible nano tanks that just knock your socks off. I would like to see some make the TOTM. I feel it would encourage more potential reefers.

I didn't care for the river rock or the bleeding light. Neither have a real impact on the"system"

Can't wai till Steve and others get going again :)

Ya the rock and wood access panels was kinda cheap looking IMO, although, my Dad would love it. To each there own, it's the tank of the month not the best interior design of the month. :D :D

I have followed that dude's build thread for some time. All the info on his system is in there, much of it step by step.

When I first saw it I thought it would be great for rays or something. The footprint is huge.

The spray bars are cool. I have seen it for the back of tak walls, but it requires some weight, that stuff is buoyant.

Steve, don't under estimate yourself man. I grew up in Cali and even there several people sent me to your site. It inspires more then you know IMHO. My friend even referenced your tank pics for the aquascaping on his nano. It wasn't the same but pretty cool. I really like your cold water system, have seen the threads. I'm a seahorse lover so seeing someone keeping pots in the states was pretty awesome, let alone all the other critters. One of my dream tanks is a 180 tall with pots and breiceps, so seeing yours was cool. Even though I'll probably never keep large tanks, (unless I win the lotto and can keep sea dragons) I kind still find inspiration from those who do.

I'm not really good at lip service, but I really enjoyed your site. Don't sell yourself short.

My plans for the new system are something along the lines of a tank that is 10' X 8' X 4'.....with circulation mostly provided through built-in waveboxes or surges.... and rely less upon closed loops. I also want to nearly eliminate piping. My old system had WAY too much plumbing.....the amount of crap that was encrusted in those pipes was disgusting....not to mention all the reduced pipe diameters from the hardening of the arteries. I also want to reduce energy consumption with more stategically placed lighting and fewer pumps. Look for it in 2009.

Sounds very interesting............ really hope I can see it in person someday. As you always have had very clean and detailed tanks.

So we gotta wait about 357 days huh?!?! :D:D:D