Feeding Heniochus

defigart

I have two Heniochus acuminatus. They both eat Cyclopeese with gusto. Wondering what else they might eat. I am sure that a single item menu can't be healthy in the long run.

I have tried small slow-sinking pellets, flake, and something that can best be described as an interesting intermediary of flake and pellet. They have also eaten frozen daphnia.

Black and White Heniochus Butterfly - Heniochus acuminatus

Also known as: Long-Fin, Reef, Schooling Bannerfish

Maximum Size: the Heniochus acuminatus grows up to 10 inches.

General Size Specifications: The small size will come to you generally 1 to 2 inches; the medium generally 3 to 4 inches; the large generally 5 to 6 inches not including the caudal fin.

Minimum Tank Size: The Black and White Heniochus Butterfly prefers a tank of at least 80 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.

Diet: The Heniochus acuminatus is a omnivore and likes to eat variety of foods (meats & veggies).

Level of Care: The Black and White Heniochus Butterfly is a low maintenance fish.

Behavior: The Black and White Heniochus Butterfly may act peacefully toward other fish.

Water Conditions: Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).

Range: Tahiti, Fiji, Hawaii.

General Notes: Heniochus acuminatus (Linnaeus 1758) is most often seen in the hobby and trade. Their most common, common names are Reef and Schooling Bannerfish, but both are found in pairs to groups in the wild. The latter species can be distinguished by its much smaller snout/mouth, and more angular anal fin. Juveniles are facultative cleaners in the wild. Long-Fin Bannerfish. Not reef safe as it is known to pick at coral polyps - especially zoanthids, fanworms and feather dusters.

I would go with mysis, krill, plankton, algaes, emerald entree....pretty much anything LOL