Best detritivores?

fjdog

Happy holidays everyone and sorry I was not able to make the party. I have been searching for a couple of good detritus-eating critters to keep up with all of the droppings from my turbo snails, but come up with lots of pros and cons for each one? What are the PNWMAS member opinions on adding the following in a fish/invert/soft coral tank? I've been vacuuming the top of the sand during water changes, but would like to do this less often!

Serpent stars

Brittle stars

Micro brittle stars (like those sold by liveaquatix.com)

Bristle worms

Nassarius snails

Bumble bee snails

Any others?

I like my tigertail cucumber. ( I think thats right' date=' could be just tiger) brown with lighter colored spikes. he does good work and no problems. started with one, now I have four.[/quote']

x2 on this one. I had problems until I got one now dont see anything like I used to.

Generally the smaller the better! Never had a problem with any save for a couple large hermits killing snails off for their shells. Some large snails also can be bulldozers and urchins can do the same as well as become a mobile fragging unit.

Garrett

Could use a little superglue and make snail mods mixed with matchbox cars parts. Put some scoops off the machinery in the front and shovels or grading in the back to put them to work properly. I'll try to make a moch up tomorrow :)

Are bristleworms all pretty much safe except for the fireworm with the big red bristles? I had one that my lfs gave me but I chickened out on putting it in the tank because it was about 2-3 inches and I heard so many bad things about the bristleworms. After more reading, it looks like there is mainly one species that causes problems with corals. I may be wierd, but I think they are pretty cool looking myself! Here's a picture of what I had.

post-1500-141867738002_thumb.jpg

Are bristleworms all pretty much safe except for the fireworm with the big red bristles? I had one that my lfs gave me but I chickened out on putting it in the tank because it was about 2-3 inches and I heard so many bad things about the bristleworms. After more reading' date=' it looks like there is mainly one species that causes problems with corals. I may be wierd, but I think they are pretty cool looking myself! Here's a picture of what I had.[/quote']

I have lots of those, no issues. I guess if I fed ultra low then they may prey on other things but feeding is a daily thing around here.

I don't think my bubble bees have bothered any of my other snails, but it's hard to be sure in 180g. My green brittle star ate a few of my sleeping chromis, so I tossed it in the sump, and it does well in there (but I'd never put one in a main tank!). My bristle stars do a great job and I LOVE my tigertail cuke. It's gotten very long now. Seems to prefer one side of my tank, but it's out every night vacuuming through the sand =)