noob with some questions

Gunner52

hi i just decided to get into this last weekend so far every thing seems to be going good i got a 20g tank and one clown he seems to be doing good but i have a few questions. tthis afternoon he seemed to be coming up to the surface quite a bit and i thought i read some where that that ment some thing was wrong and he likes hanging out by the heater most the time. my temp is 78 and ph is 8.0 and the amonia nitrite and nitrate are all at 0 solinity 1.023.

im also wondering what shops are good in portland and where there located?

my last question is about live rock do i need to do anything special for it or do i need a certain type i dont have any yet but im thinking about picking some up ive heard its really good to have but its harder to take care of things with it im just kind of confused with some of this stuff.

thanks for any help i hope my questions arent too stupid lol

What exactly is in your tank? just a fish and water? how about sand and Live rock? where did youy get your water from? putting a fish into a brand new tank is NEVER a good idea. Especially saltwater fish. It takes weeks and sometimes months (depending on the live rock condition) for the bacteria levels in the tank to levvel out and balance to make the tank safe for living creatures. Its what we call a "cycle".

Give us a litte more info so we can help you out and welcome to saltwater fishkeeping!

i dont have any live rock all i have is a 20g tank with crushed coral substrate and then i have some pieces of dead coral for ornaments and one clown fish they guy i talked to at the store said itd be fine to put the fish in now i used instant ocean saltmix with distilled water and added water conditioner i have an under gravel filter with power head and a hang on filter and a 100 watt heater

if theres anything else you need to know let me know thats all i can think of at the moment thanks

• 1 month later...
i dont have any live rock all i have is a 20g tank with crushed coral substrate and then i have some pieces of dead coral for ornaments and one clown fish they guy i talked to at the store said itd be fine to put the fish in now i used instant ocean saltmix with distilled water and added water conditioner i have an under gravel filter with power head and a hang on filter and a 100 watt heater

if theres anything else you need to know let me know thats all i can think of at the moment thanks

the crushed coral potentially will cause problems down the road. you need to get live rock in there, however, you will most likely not be able to do it with the fish in there, theres a good chance the cycle will kill it. toss the under gravel filter, nothing but problems in SW tanks. How long did you let the saltwater mix before putting the fish in? it takes normally at least 12-24 hours for saltwater to properly mix. id check your salinity again.

and shame on your lfs for giving you that advice. very very bad of them, but typical.