Anyone bagging their own Purigen in a Nuvo 20?

Rp.McMurphy

How much are you putting in the bag? Have a 2 month old tank that I need to start bringing nitrates down in. Starting to see the beginnings of some GHA starting. 

Stock:

2 small ocellaris clowns

1 small chromis

1 small diamond goby

2 hermits and 2 trochus

1 frogspawn and 1 hammer

Appreciate any advice. 

IMG_8936.JPG

Look for any dead spots "low/no flow" for detritus build up and remove it and fix flow issue if any.

Your rock is very young yet and that's where all the beneficial bacteria is, as that grows it will help.

Take a turkey baster and blast the detritus out of all the little pockets in the rock work from time to time.

Purigen basically helps control and trap organics, and helps the nitrate to not keep climbing.

A 25% water change every other week will lower the nitrate faster and do more then the purigen for nitrate reduction. 

What is your nitrate level?

What is that tank size? oh sorry, missed it was a nuvo20

Edited by ChrisQ

Hi ChrisQ- thanks for your reply. 

- I'll keep an eye out for deadspots. I try to monitor the flow whenever I kick up debris/feed and it seems pretty good but there's always room for improvement. Have the returns and a koralia 425 blowing across the back wall. 

-Yep, the rock is definitely young. Was all dry rock except for one little piece of live. I'm sure this is all part of the uglies but since I'm a rookie I don't how far to let the uglies go before they become permanent. And I really don't like algae. 

- I use a powerhead to blast my rock before water changes. My hand got tired with the baster. Ha. Love seeing all the stuff fly. 

- My goby does a great job turning over my sand (it's spotless) but he is probably also part of the reason for my high nitrates. Don't think it was a good idea to get a sandsifter in such a new (and small) tank. Rookie mistake. He lost weight so I've been target feeding him more than I'd like. I'm usually verrrry stingy with my feeding. Been considering taking him back until I can establish a good pod population for him. But the white sand is nice. 

- Since I was going to start using purigen I ordered the salifert nitrate kit today. API puts it at about 20. Going to do some aggressive water changes to get it down and then have purigen maintain it down there. Sound like a plan?

• Like 1

Just keep in mind that you WILL get some algae growing on your rock work, but it's only temporary as long as you keep good husbandry. Maybe trade your goby for a lawnmower blenny but only one per tank that size or it's war! and a few sand sifting snails since it's kinda tough to put a couple tangs in a 20 for algae control. Good call on the Salifert.

Also don't worry, at the stage that your at, we ALL go through it. Also might consider a few more snails as your 2 hermits will be trying to kill them, sometimes they succeed. 

Yep- I know algae is inevitable and even encouraged as a sign as a maturing tank but that doesn't make it any easier. Fear of the unknown and all that...

One per tank of the lawn mowers? Or do you mean the lawnmower and the goby will fight? Been looking forward to getting a lawnmower but that means I'd have to have algae for him, quite a catch 22. 

1 hour ago, Rp.McMurphy said:

Yep- I know algae is inevitable and even encouraged as a sign as a maturing tank but that doesn't make it any easier. Fear of the unknown and all that...

One per tank of the lawn mowers? Or do you mean the lawnmower and the goby will fight? Been looking forward to getting a lawnmower but that means I'd have to have algae for him, quite a catch 22. 

No, i mean't 2 blennies will fight. You'll have algae soon enough, pick one up and start a QT. Be ready at the same time maybe, also try and buy one that eats frozen, just ask the owner if he'll see if he'll eat.

Edited by ChrisQ

And to try and answer your original question.

If you have a 20g tank (less because of rock/sand displacement) and you buy your purigen in the little bags that treat 100 gallons, net weight of 60 grams. 60 divided by 5 gives you 12 grams so i figure that gives you 5 refills of 10-12 gram bags. Just have to figure out how to measure it out.

Man that a weird thought for me, i stick 2 100g bags in my reactor in a 125g system 

Edited by ChrisQ

Bagging Purigen works great, I wouldn't be too worried about adding to much or little, you can occasionally inspect it to see how well its doing.  Just keep in mind when it comes to what kind of Mesh bag you use, most lightweight materials don't survive after the 24 hour Bleach Recharge.

17 hours ago, ChrisQ said:

And to try and answer your original question.

If you have a 20g tank (less because of rock/sand displacement) and you buy your purigen in the little bags that treat 100 gallons, net weight of 60 grams. 60 divided by 5 gives you 12 grams so i figure that gives you 5 refills of 10-12 gram bags. Just have to figure out how to measure it out.

Man that a weird thought for me, i stick 2 100g bags in my reactor in a 125g system 

Yeah- looks like you can't really overdose so I put a few spoonfuls in a nylon media bag. Thanks for writing that out for me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Exodus said:

Bagging Purigen works great, I wouldn't be too worried about adding to much or little, you can occasionally inspect it to see how well its doing.  Just keep in mind when it comes to what kind of Mesh bag you use, most lightweight materials don't survive after the 24 hour Bleach Recharge.

Thank you, sir. Have it in a nylon bag- might be too much of a nervous Nellie to play around with the bleach to recharge though. 

17 minutes ago, Rp.McMurphy said:

Thank you, sir. Have it in a nylon bag- might be too much of a nervous Nellie to play around with the bleach to recharge though. 

Yeah why mess with the recharge? It's only like 9 bucks plus just take your smartphone in with you and show them their online price and they'll match it so i only pay around 7 bucks for mine. :thumbs:

Edited by ChrisQ