Sebaes

Holly

When do anemones split? I mean, is it a size thing or a health/environment thing? (scratch)

My two sebaes have gotten noticeably bigger lately, but the larger one in particular is really stretching out in the tank. It was originally (8-9mos ago?) a few inches across and now the diameter is probably more than a foot.

I've recently taken a break from giving the sebaes silversides because they seemed to hit some kind of expodential growth spurt. No sign that either sebae is splitting (not that I'd really know, I guess), but I'm curious how big they might get before doing so....

Thanks!

~Holly

PS My 2 BTAs are doing fine but don't really grow, and I've had them the longest. I guess something about my tank (chemistry?lighting?) is acceptable for BTAs but much better for Sebaes..?

post-266-141867768081_thumb.jpg

your heteractis crispa (sebae) anemones wont split unfortunately. the only clownfish anemones known to do so would be your e. quadricolors (bubbletips) and heteractis magnificas (ritteri anemones), with your carpets occasionally "budding".

with your sebaes, expect them to top off around 24" or so! with your bubbletips, theyll either get huge and not split...or get huge and split...or split at their current size....its really unpredictable. stress like major water changes or sudden poor water quality can sometimes trigger a split, as can an injury or intentional injury such as cutting the animal in half like you would frag a ricordia.

and under most circumstances, you should be fine with both species of anemones in the same tank...

Thanks! I'm fine with them not splitting.:D I was just wondering how big they would get. Holy bejeezuz 24" in captivity??(scary)

I haven't had any problems with the sebaes and BTAs together (yet), but since the tank's 6'L, they have room to negotiate. Each of the four anemones located a favorite rock groove some time back and haven't ever moved. The two sebaes are almost touching now, because they've gotten so big, but I guess if they don't like it, one of them can move.

My anemone crab and clark pair go strictly between the two sebaes and never go near the two BTAs. No idea why. Maybe size does matter!(laugh)

Thanks for the info! Very helpful!(clap)