Civicsit's 30g Oceanic Cube

civicsit

Well, I finally decided to do a tank thread. I have been in the hobby for only a year, so I'm still quite inexperienced. I started with a 15H and a 10g refugium/sump. After a little bit I decided that I didn't like the dimensions of the 15H, so I moved to a 20L. I like the 20L, it gives the look of a big tank in a small package. I upgraded my lights and started to keep more sps and not too long ago started to get some acro's. My tank has been doing pretty good with no real big set-backs (besides a little heat damage over the summer) and I would have probably just kept with the 20L and let the corals grow until I move next year after I finish college. This is where it took an unexpected turn. My girlfriend has always been kind of interested in my tank, but didn't really care all that much. But lately she has taken more of an interest in it and decided that she wants to buy corals for it. I was getting to where I was running out of room in my 20L since I wanted room for the corals to grow, so she suggested that I look into a bigger tank. We found a 30g oceanic cube for sale in the classifieds (thanks krux) and ended up getting it. Here are some pics of the cube I got and my 20L before the move.

tankpics8-20-07015.jpg

tankpics8-20-07017.jpg

tankpics8-20-07024.jpg

This is what I bought for the plumbing, a SCWD (switching current wave director) and two outputs to hook up to it.

tankpics8-20-07012.jpg

So this is where the hard part comes in. I had to move everything from my 20L into the 30 cube and redo the plumbing. I just finished the move today (it took me about 12 hours to do everything), and got the cube set up. I used a big plastic tub for my live rock and had two small tubberware containers for the fish and corals. I had a lot of salt water mixed up and had some extra RO/DI water in case I needed to mix more. Everything actually ended up going pretty smoothly and all of the inhabitants seem to be content. The polyps on my acro's were even extended out and my pink skunk pair were swimming around. Here are a couple pics of the cube in it's new location. It is still little hazy, so hopefully that will clear up overnight. (rock2)

tankpics8-20-07025.jpg

tankpics8-20-07027.jpg

tankpics8-20-07026.jpg

Here is a shot of my pair of pink skunk clowns. I just got them a couple of weeks ago. One is deffinetly more aggresive and is starting to get larger than the other one. I want to get an anemone host for them. BTW what anemone would you suggest considering that they are pink skunks and I have a 30g?

tankpics8-20-07034.jpg

The 30g cube is a lot bigger than my 20L (AGA 20L only hold about 18g of water) so I am going to need to get more rock. My mound of rock looks pretty puny right now.

So what do you think? Any suggestions or comments?

Enjoy, (drinking)

Karl

Looks good I like those cubes. Was really close to getting one myself. Most people will probably disagree with me but I think the amount of rock you have in there right now is perfect. Especially if you are going to get more sps corals I would give them plenty of room to grow.

• 4 weeks later...

hey Karl!

Your tank looks great! It's too bad I'm not still in Corvallis so we can trade and chat. Your girlfriend had a really nice freshwater set up but i'm glad she's getting interested in saltwater now! That frogspawn looks like it grew 100x bigger since i last saw it. Looking good! (clap)