Once again, I will turn to you...

kriswaters

for some advice. I have obviously taken my time and have researched reef tanks to the hilt. I understand about new tank syndrome and I am not stressed about the strange thinks that pop up.

Now, I am pretty sure I am beginning the battle with cyanobacteria. Lovely stuff. Things that have changed- Light cycle: I now run 1 T-5 10k for about 8 hours instead of just the actinics (they run 12 hours). This due to the recent addition of my coral-2) tree corals 1) sun coral (I know it doesn't need light) 3) small zoa colonies and 2) Xenia (I ditched the ones that weren't doing well).

I wonder how others have coped with this. I understand that husbandry is a big issue. I do 10-15% water changes every two weeks. My skimmer kicks some serious booty, I have a nice ball of cheato in my fuge and run a mag7 on the return to a Y locline. I have 2) Hydors #1 and often change their position to hit all areas of the tank. I have 2) Percula Clowns 1) six line wrasse and 1) two spot Goby. A variety of snails and 3 hermit crabs.

Question: How do you increase the flow in your tank with out a sand storm? What placement is best for power heads, and would upgrading to the Hydor 3 or 4 make a difference? Should I run more than 2 power heads? As far as the cyano-I've read that frequent/large WC and removing the junk from the sand bed with a net helps. Equally, decreasing the light cycle will aid.

Again, I am not stressed, but I do want to ensure that this does not overwhelm my tank.

Current Params:

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

Ammonia (free/total) 0

PH 8.2

Alk 4

Temp 78-80

Anyway, just wanted to start a discussion on this.

Kris;)

I'm assuming this is your 55 gal? I think that upgrading your hydors would be the best bet for increasing flow without causing sand issues since the hydors have such indirect flow. I have a hydor 2 in my 20L and love it, so do my corals, but I mostly have sps with a few big frogspawn colonies and a few small zoos. If you wanted to direct the flow away from the sand, you could place the hydors in the front bottom corners and direct them to the back top corners or at your rock.

Also, on your return, you could put in a SCWD and split it into two outputs, one on each side of the tank, to give it more of a natural flow. I don't really think that this would help out with the cyno, but I think it is supposed to help your corals grow better since it is more like a natural reef.

I'm sure you have, but have you gotten your phosphates checked? May be a factor for the cyno. (Or is it not since cyno is called a bacteria and not an algae? Sorry just got a sudden thought)

Flow will not help cyano. Its growing on the output of both my Seio 820s right now. Thats direct flow at 820gph, and its growing!

You need to limit nutrients into the system, and export organics. Syphon it all out every waterchange, blast it every time it pops up with the baster, and try to get it down to your skimmer.

To be honest, even that doesn't always work. I've been thru cyano before with my 29gal, and now i'm having probs with it in my 75. I beat it in my 29 after exhausting every single suggestion i could find on all of RC. I TRIED EVERY SINGLE ONE! In the end, the only thing i've found that gets rid of cyano is Chemi clean.

As expected, this small hitch has disappeared. I ran carbon for 4 days, turned out the lights for 24 hours and re-directed the hydors-one nice thing about acrylic euro-bracing...I can attach these bad boys to the top of the tank and aim them directly down.

The sand is white as white...no sign of any red slimy things any longer.

Kris