Feeder fish/animal cultivation?

LadAShark

Has anyone been able to cultivate/raise/breed feeder critters (not freshwater like mollies and guppies) for your saltwater fish? I'm hoping to set up a system where I could do that so as to be able to feed some catsharks, non reef friendly wrasses, and a remora (who will eat just about anything, so I can feed him some small shrimp).

What type of fish were you thinking of?

I have never raised saltwater feeder-fish, but I do know that many freshwater fish can be acclimated to saltwater. I bet they are easier to breed too. Maybe start there?

Edited by milesmiles902

What type of fish were you thinking of?

I have never raised saltwater feeder-fish, but I do know that many freshwater fish can be acclimated to saltwater. I bet they are easier to breed too. Maybe start there?

Unforuntately any fish you have to acclimate to salt water isn't a fish that you want to be feeding to your fish, as it will lead to fatty liver disease and will kill your fish, as fresh water/brackish fishes just don't have the proper nutritious value.

I'm thinking either some naturally saltwater fish, shrimp, or other that would be possible to reproduce in a tank (like a refugium) and then feed back to the fish in the main tank.

You might be able to raise some mussels for your Bamboo cat sharks ( and other sharks). I wonder how hard it would be and how long it would take in a home setting. There's plenty of it being done in the wild. 

Edited by ChrisQ

You might be able to raise some mussels for your Bamboo cat sharks ( and other sharks). I wonder how hard it would be and how long it would take in a home setting. There's plenty of it being done in the wild.

You got my hopes up. I looked into it, mussels can even filter up to 80 gph. There's no way it can be maintained in a tank :/

What I CAN do is find someplace in Astoria/seaside/etc. And find someone who'll let me toss a huge rope over and leave it there forever. Then I can go there around once a month or so, collect some of the larger mussels and keep them at home (they can stay alive without food for MONTHS) to feed to the sharks. Wonder if I could get that set up? That would be pretty awesome, though I would somewhat worry about parasites and diseases.

• Like 1

You got my hopes up. I looked into it, mussels can even filter up to 80 gph. There's no way it can be maintained in a tank :/

What I CAN do is find someplace in Astoria/seaside/etc. And find someone who'll let me toss a huge rope over and leave it there forever. Then I can go there around once a month or so, collect some of the larger mussels and keep them at home (they can stay alive without food for MONTHS) to feed to the sharks. Wonder if I could get that set up? That would be pretty awesome, though I would somewhat worry about parasites and diseases.

Funny you should mention it, i've lived in Seaside for 20+ years and worked up and down the coast from Tillamook to Long beach  but yeah i was definitely thinking sustainable food not filtration but i know next to nothing on their feeding habits. Although i don't think clatsop county and surrounding counties will be too keen on letting you setup shop for feeding your "pet sharks" :tongue: but hey who knows unless you ask but you'll have much better luck if you knew someone up there. 

Wait... do Sea lions eat mussels? If so Astoria is out for harvesting mussels  :blink:

Funny you should mention it, i've lived in Seaside for 20+ years and worked up and down the coast from Tillamook to Long beach but yeah i was definitely thinking sustainable food not filtration but i know next to nothing on their feeding habits. Although i don't think clatsop county and surrounding counties will be too keen on letting you setup shop for feeding your "pet sharks" :tongue: but hey who knows unless you ask but you'll have much better luck if you knew someone up there.

Wait... do Sea lions eat mussels? If so Astoria is out for harvesting mussels :blink:

I remember when I went crabbing on the docks in seaside, I believe, the sea lions (or were they seals, I don't remember) didn't seem to stop anything. I caught like 10 crabs in an hour and a half. Though I'm not sure if I can pull that off again.

Hmm. All it would take is a single rope. I really don't know anyone there, so I'm not sure if anyone would let me do anything there. Wonder if like 10-50 dollars a month would let me do that? Hmm.

It would be interesting to see how many people would be interested in setting up something like that over here. If so, we could perhaps rent a spot or soemthing and raise enough mussels for everyone's fish ;P

Sharks aren't the only animals that enjoy mussles, so do pretty much every other carnivorous fish.

• Like 1