A large pacific basket starfish

fishboys

Sorry, I thought I had explained where this sea creature came from. Yesterday a friend and I were fishing the ocean for our lingcod and rock fish limits as well crabbing. I have brought up many things while bottom fishing, rocks from 600 ft, skates, different kinds of sharks, bull whips, octopus, wolf eels, 30 legged starfish, box crab, and much more but this was a first. I have yet to research it to find out exactly what it is.

I hooked this thing on the bottom at 187 feet. Brought it up and enjoyed looking at it for a minute and snapping some pictures. Not sure the name of it but it has to be some sort of star fish type thing.

The first picture is the top of it the second picture is of the bottom. You can see its mouth pretty well in the second picture.

A pacific basket starfish. I figured but wasn't a 100% sure until now.

Edited by fishboys

I know, if I had a cold water system that thing would of come home with me. I might start a cold water system when I buy/build my next house. It's not easy to have a cold system but it's much cheaper for me to put items into the tank. Plus I could just house future dinners in there. Put up some crab and ling or sea bass.

I caught a lingcod yesterday at about the 30 fathom line and it was warfing up shrimp. We have tried to establish I sport shrimp fishery here but we can never find them in harvestable numbers. Was surprised to see the fish gorged with so many shrimp and inside the 30 fathom line, crazy.

Always fun out there, every single time I see or catch something new.

Last trip was a red and yellow Irish lord fish, very cool.

Edited by fishboys
  • Like 1