Should I get a sand sifting starfish?

lonny.

I've always heard that while initially they help stir the sand but then they never stop and eventually deplete your sandband of any little critters that are supposed to be helping you.  I've got a 120g with about a 2" deep bed and have been told that one would strip my bed in a few months.  So i've held off.

• Like 2

I know the experts say they will strip the sand bed in a matter of months but I kept mine for about 7 years first in my 65g tank and then moved it to the 125g when I upgraded. I did have a fairly large refugium back then. I liked the starfish, but decided I liked harlequin shrimp better. I gave the sand sifter to a good home and moved on to the harlequins. 

IME the sand sifters are buried so much of the time that the are not really that cool. I am thinking of getting some Linkia's for my system now, but just never make my way to a fish store anymore. 

JME

Right now I don't have anything really aerating the sand bed which is only around 2" deep. I really don't like vacuuming the sand. It never picks much detritus up and I end up sucking sand out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk