When is it time for a calcium reactor?

zechirian

Just throwing this question out there as it seems my tank once back on track will pick up where it left off and be wanting 80-100+ml a day of two part.  

I've never had the need for a calcium reactor but it is starting to feel that way and i'd love to just set it and forget it (within reason), not have to worry about running out or dosing while on vacation.

100mL a day... a calcium reactor is going to be cheaper long term, depending on your 2 part cost it took me about a year to break even. Of course last time I ran out of C02 my tank was taking 300 mL a day, so I think I broke even sooner then I would have. These corals keep growing.

A CA reactor has been great for me and my corals. The consistency is amazing. I am slowly waining on testing alk as I now use my forest fire monti's polyp extension as a guage. It is surprisingly accurate. 

I switched a little over a year ago. I am happy I did.

HTH

Agreed, if you have the space and time to dial them in, they are a great addition. I'd also say knowing where to get CO2 at a reasonable cost and distance is also going to factor into your decision. When I had my 210 I was very lucky that I had a fire extinguisher company literally in the next street over and I could get a refill for $5 a time.