Getting 'pods from fuge to display...how?

JeffP

So I've got a nice collection of amphipods (sp?) growing in my hang on fuge. But - I don't really see how they'd be dumb enough to wander over to the overflow and the get swept to the display. How i can encourage their demise? Transfer small pieces of rubble back and forth? Shake the chaeto in the display once in a while?

Also, I notice less copepods than amphi's in there. Would that just be me not noticing, or is that likely? I dose phyto once a week or so to feed the little bastards (or at least think that's what i'm doing).

The amphipods and copepods will go from your fuge to your display on there own. With the more common HOB style refugiums you won't see huge increases in population but there will be an increase IME. THe larger the refugium the larger the populations if taken care of IME.

Did you seed the tank with pods, or are you just encouraging the growth of the present species?

There are thousands of species of pods, but they basically fall into three different catergories. Most hobbyists try to encourage the growth of calanoid or harpactoid (algae eaters or detritus eaters). If you have hapactoid pods, then they will not feed off of the algaes.

The chaeto will hold a number of pods, and shaking it in the tank will release some, but if you are patient the population in your refugium will overflow into the tank.

I like tons of pods in my systems, it's just good for the livestock I keep, so I use piles of rubble rock behind my rockwork to give the pods additional places to grow.

JME, HTH