Reefers worst nightmare!

ssappington

This was a first for me, waking up to water on the floor!

Fortunately it ended up to be a simple leak in the external overflow, not a tank leak. (Did I mention I hate external overflows?)

My first thought was OMG I'm going to have to drain the tank- that's a lot of water and wasted effort sally!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know why i peaked at this thread im sure we have all had this happen one time or another.  Glad is wasnt super bad for you the worst one i had was about 2 gallons on the carpet not fun there either.

2 gallons?! That's like a walk in the park compared to some horror stories I've read. I haven't had it too bad myself either. I've done around 5 gallons of salt on laminate, a few gallons of salt on carpet, and one time did about 20-25 gallons of fresh on the carpet....that one sucked.

Hoping the best for you!

Edited by Higher Thinking

2 gallons?! That's like a walk in the park compared to some horror stories I've read. I haven't had it too bad myself either. I've done around 5 gallons of salt on laminate, a few gallons of salt on carpet, and one time did about 20-25 gallons of fresh on the carpet....that one sucked.

Hoping the best for you!

yuck that's why seeing threads that say reefers worst night mare scare me to look at but I like to look see if someone needed help with something.

I'm also open to helping anyone that needs help btw just cant lift with a bad shoulder and soon to go into surgery again.  Now back on topic I check to help glad I didn't read a disaster when I looked :)

On that note I hear tons of stories to mainly to do with people don't zip tie or clamp there return hoses and come back from vacation to a mess and dead everything that would make me puke but I know that's went on many times to and my worst fear.

done once around 20 gallons on carpet. 55 gallon tank split a seam out of the blue one day. I happen to be home to hear water pouring out. Talk about grabbing pots and grabbing all the fish as fast as I could.

Ok that made me stop and hold my breath for sec and gave me chills that's bad.   May I ask was this a old tank?  I have not heard of many seams splitting only one other time a guy was using blades to clean the glass like I do and I'm sure others do problem is he kept using it by the seam to I don't not even come close to that seam scares me.

I just setup my overflow (DIY HOB system) and the thought of it getting clogged and overflowing has me not sleeping well lol. I live in a apartment on the second story above our maintenance guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol feel your pain :)  set up a alarm for it :)

I lost between 30-55 gallons of salt water on the floor in a coupla minutes once. I was home and about 4 feet from the tank when the 2" bulkhead for the closed loop cracked and split (after about 5 years). 

The remodel of the room went well though after having to replace the dry wall and the subflooring. Put down a vinyl floor just so I could pour water on it and laugh. 

• Like 1

I have lost about 30 gal before. Thanks to a snail that got into a overflow pipe. I learned my lesson about not having screens over your drain pipes. I wound up having to tare the tank down to dry the floor out and replacing some of the padding under the carpet.

sent from a Samsung note 4