high nitrates no phosphates

merritt180

Im looking for some opinions here so i was battling with really high nitrates several months ago they were up to around 60ppm and my phos was about .05 so i did several 50g changes in my 180. Got my nitrates down to about 30ppm Just so ya know i was going threw a low intrest point with my tank so she was neglected. I was working 6 days a week 10-12hrs a day with a new child. So time didnt exsist. but anyways things changed and i have more time. So i recently bought a pellet reactor thinking my nitrates were creeping back up due increasing algae growth. I would crop the algae off my overflows every other day for a few weeks but then it slowed up. But i did a few test this morning and found my nitrates at 20ppm via api and my phos at 0.00 via hanna checker. So i was kinda suprised at the results. But anyways will biopellets work with no phos but only nitrates?

Im looking for some opinions here so i was battling with really high nitrates several months ago they were up to around 60ppm and my phos was about .05 so i did several 50g changes in my 180. Got my nitrates down to about 30ppm Just so ya know i was going threw a low intrest point with my tank so she was neglected. I was working 6 days a week 10-12hrs a day with a new child. So time didnt exsist. but anyways things changed and i have more time. So i recently bought a pellet reactor thinking my nitrates were creeping back up due increasing algae growth. I would crop the algae off my overflows every other day for a few weeks but then it slowed up. But i did a few test this morning and found my nitrates at 20ppm via api and my phos at 0.00 via hanna checker. So i was kinda suprised at the results. But anyways will biopellets work with no phos but only nitrates?

Bio Pellets are just one of those things you are going to have to try out. From my experience they have different results in every tank, while they provide to be beneficial for some they prove to be disastrous for others. While 20ppm Isn't ideal your still not in the danger zone, I personally would up water changes for a month and watch if it drops then I would throw in some Macro algae and call it good.

I have never used purigen i dont really want to take out ammonia just something to keep the nitrates at bay i really need to up my feedings cause my trio of yellow tangs def need more cause there pretty skinny if i feed more the way my system sits my nitrates will go up crazy fast

Edited by merritt180