bad ich on my powder blue tang, can i save my snails?

Michael

Hello, 

100 gallon tank, 

no recent spikes that i can read, 

chaeto in fuge

ive done two 50-60 percent water changes

ich has been super bad on only my powder blue tang, not so bad on blue hippo tang

ive used about two bottles of tropical science probiotics, 

i feed my tangs seaweed thats garlic infused, 

mix of frozen food i got from cuttle fish and coral, i've heard from many people its great stuff. 

every once in a while i feed flakes, also contain probiotics...

after everything ich is still bad in tank, powder blue is established have had for a while now, he's been fine but recently got ich after i introduced a new fish that died.... 

My next option that i can see would be to copper dose my tank, but doing so i believe that i will loose my snails. i dont have to many, but i still would like to keep them. is there any medication that anybody knows of that will save my snails, my fish, and rid my tank of ich? or as much as possible?

is QT my two tangs my only option? and at that point is my tank able to handle new live stock? i would like to add a few more fish. 

i dont have nay coral...YET

but i know there is some stuff i can buy that will remove all copper from tank, right?

thus making it reef safe? 

Thanks guys

i also have a clown, two snowflake eels (babies), 4 chromis, 2 fire fish, coral beauty, damsel, foxface, along with powder blue (has ich) and blue hippo tang (also has ich). 

wanting to add a yellow eye tang, and a wrasse. but cannot due to ich

Dosing copper to the DT is a very bad idea, it will pollute your tank and make it a death trap for inverts and corals indefinitely. A hospital tank is pretty much your only option...Powder Blue's IMO are just ticking time bombs.

Most people will recommend removing all fish from the DT and letting it remain fallow for a period of like 12 weeks...the sooner you can get a hospital tank the better. The powder may show signs of improvement, and then a couple days later the ich will be back, worse than ever. There are a number of treatments you can setup in the hospital tank, just do a little more research, there are hundreds or thousands of threads on it.

• Like 1

okay, i am thinking of setting QT tank, an probably will, maybe then dosing that tank with copper. 

Im guessing DT tank stands for my... main tank? 

i dont have any coral in this tank, just fish, only thing i was worried about was my snails. 

setting up a QT tank will be best for powder blue and hippo tang, but that doesnt mean that my main tank (DT?) will be ready for new fish?

Thanks again guys

Remember that if you are just setting up the QT, it will go through a normal cycle...and then add to the stress of the PB Tang, and other fish. The correct way to do it is to have the QT tank up and running(cycled) before the fish are purchased...I have made the mistake of haphazardly tossing together a QT tank in a pinch, and all the fish subsequently died...It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Maybe you know someone with a hospital tank already setup and running?