Mysteriously Yellow Eye Kole Tang Dies

Trenton Henderson

This morning I was doing my daily feeding; I didn't notice my tang as he is usually a feeding hog. I looked behind my rock work and saw that it was dead and being eaten by my hermit crabs and two skunk cleaner shrimp. Yesterday it was just fine. It fed as normal and acted no different than usual. No disease is within the aquarium. All this to say I believe it was killed by my livestock. Here is a list of fish and inverts that might have had something to do with it:

Male/ female pair ocellaris clowns

Red firefish

Gold head sleeper goby

Tiger jawfish

Bangaii Cardinal

Yellow watchman with pistol shrimp

Pair of skunk cleaner shrimp

Hermit crabs (small)

If any of these could have gone rogue, please let me know.

Thanks,

Trenton

Sorry for the loss but it very well could of been your other live stock, but to kill it over night is pretty fast. In my tank I've had some fish on fish hate crimes but I've usually seen the issues for days prior before the one finally was taken out by the other. He could of just been old as well.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

If it isn't age related, my first guess would be a parasite. I would "Not" make any rash moves (i.e treatments for the unknown, huge water change etc.) But keep a very close eye on the others counting heads daily. Study up on common known parasites in the reef tank and see if if there's anything you might have overlooked upon inspection. If another fish passes in the coming week or two you need to quickly find exactly what parasite it is and administer treatment, if everything is going smooth in a couple weeks I would assume your most likely in the clear and it was simply a fluke.

• Like 1