Pavona bleached

Ninjabeaver

Hey I picked up a pavona frag last month..and it has been on the bottom of my tank (75) and still bleached out...there is still polyp extension..but no color or noticeable growth.

My arctic t247s are set to 15% white and 45% blue....and are about 8 to 10 inches off the water. Which seems pretty low not sure why it would bleach so quickly on the bottom of my tank.

Any placement or lighting guidance would be appreciated. My plan now is to move it to a more shaded area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

So how are you positive this coral is bleached? The Pavona also known as "Cactus Coral" ranges from white, to pink, to brown with bright green polys. If the coral is extending all of it's polys throughout the day giving it a green color then it's perfectly fine, they are actually quite hardy corals. The thing to understand about it is that it will not grow until has encrusted and attached itself to the surface of the rock in which it sits, only the will it start to grow, but still it will be hard to notice as it doesn't grow "Upwards" it grows new "folds" outwards horizontally. With as condensed and tightly gaped folds, it can be difficult to spot it's growth when watching it daily, I would advise taking a photo of it weekly and watch it and when it starts to grow it will be much easier to notice that way, also if you could provide a photo of it so we can have a look to see if anything is wrong with it.

As for intensity I don't know what size your tank is, how far the coral sits beneath the lights but i do know I have never been able to fry a coral on only 15% white so I don't think that has to do with it, I would suggest moving it to the top of your tank as they like intense light and high flow and as light does to any coral it could possibly change its color, I have one that was grey for a few years, then when changed to new lighting it turned brown..

Very strange..I say it bleached because it lost its color completely from green to white.

I will take a photo when I get off work this afternoon...last night when I made the post it was all blues on.

I have blue German digi that broke off and is showing great growth from the bottom of my tank.

Lettuce_Coral_ps.jpg\

Just to be clear this is the Coral you are talking about right? It might just be me but I don't see the skeleton on that being green but more of a pink/tan, is yours similar to the one above?

Edited by Exodus

Lettuce_Coral_ps.jpg\

Just to be clear this is the Coral you are talking about right? It might just be me but I don't see the skeleton on that being green but more of a pink/tan, is yours similar to the one above?

Mine looked like that colorwise

Ohh wow! I see what you mean, that is in fact bleached! It no longer has green poly's and does not have any sort of green appearance. Unfortunately I'm not an SPS expert by no means (I do know about Pavona as It's one I keep and have for the last few years) but don't have any experience with digi maybe someone here can chime in if it's normal for digi to grow from the bottom of the tank, otherwise the only thing I can think of is the manufacture of your LED system has a completely different idea of 15% when it comes to white intensity, if that's the case you have some seriously powerful led's and I would move the frag as low as possible where it still receives ample light and see if it recovers as you suggested.