Which sump would be better

defigart

Hello all,

After about 30 years as a FW guy, with close too 100 successful species spawned, and numerous plants propogated I have decided to give SW a try. Not just a "Fish Only" tank, but a reef.

I inhereted a set of 4 55W CF's in a hood, with a matching stand and a 55 gallon tank. I want to go with a sump, but not sure what the best situation would be. I have read that a 20 gallon sump would be good for a tank this size. So now I have several options.

1) standard 20 will fit in/under the stand, but is only 24 inches long.

2) 20 Long is 30 inches long sill fit in the stand

3) a 24 gallon tank, its 12X12X39. Long, but short and skinny.

Would you "gurus" please help the newby deside?

Doran

I think it all depends on what you want. You can build one or just buy a tank and put dividers in it yourself. If you are on a budget I would just get a tank and put baffles in it they work great. Are you wanting to set up a fuge under there to? There are a bunch of options to choose from. Good luck!

I think it all depends on what you want. You can build one or just buy a tank and put dividers in it yourself. If you are on a budget I would just get a tank and put baffles in it they work great. Are you wanting to set up a fuge under there to? There are a bunch of options to choose from. Good luck!

Spectra,

(Sorry don't know everyone's real names yet).

Which of the three tanks above would work best?

If by "fuge" you mean refugium, (I think you do, but not sure), then yes I am planning on that also.

I have a feeling that this tank/setup will be with me for a while. But I am not against upgrading equipment later. But that doesn't mean I want a piece of cr@p right now either.

(Mods: Don't know all the rules written and unwritten yet. Appoligies in advance if wrote anything inappropriate)

Kris,

Any pictures of your sump?

I realize you may have posted them elsewhere in the forums, so even a pointer to them would be helpful.

Well, since you asked...

Skimmer section-there is now an "elbow" on my skimmer return and I ditched the foam rings.

tank005-2.jpg

Fuge section-I now have a "T" coming off of the overflow and tossed the sponge

tank003-3.jpg

Return section (a little hard to see the actual size)

tank004-1.jpg

The finished product...I did put another baffle between the fuge and return...which cut down on the bubbles in my display...it is not glued in, just wedged and held by a few suction cups (see picture above).

tank004.jpg

I got all of the materials at Multicraft Plastics in Tigard. Their prices were better than anyone elses. If you give them specs, they will cut nice, clean and true edges for you for a little extra. I used 3/8" acrylic and add a few cross braces on the top. It does not bow at all.

I thought about using a AGA for the sump, but could not find a tank to fit under my cabinet...thus I went custom. Let me know if you need anything else.

Kris

As for what tank is best it all depends on the room you have and what you want to put in there. I like set up kris has and if you look at it you will need room for a skimmer unless you go another rout. I have the same skimmer Kris has and the footprint is not huge but it is a good size. Also think about what else you want in the cabinet as in Calc reactor or a auto top off for freshwater or kalkwasser. I know I just got back into this hobby a few months ago and all the info there is now compared to then will make your head spin(scary) Just figure out what you want to do and go from there. Best thing is just take it slow I know that it is hard sometime but it will all work out in the end.

Scott

I agree with spectra...I started planning November 2006. Built the sump in February. Bought the skimmer and Hydors in March, set up the tank April 8th. Added snails mid-May, bought the lights end of May, and my first fish June 13th. Experience with this set up has taught me some things for sure. Again, let me know if you need anything else. If you don't already have a skimmer...definately look into the Octopus NW or Recircs....they KICK BOOTY!

Kris

Welcome to the site!!!

Your in luck, there isn't really a perfect way to do anything in this hobby. I would probably use the 20L, as if will give you areas for all the compartments you want, fuge, skimmer, return. Its easier to have more space between baffles for cleaning etc. My sump is just a simple 2 compartment sump, one for water coming in along with skimmer, one for the return. Piece o cake ;)

100_0798.jpg

Whatever you do take lots of pics and good luck!!

Miles