fresh water fish for food

J & Jr

A couple weeks ago I got a serpent star from another member which my son fell in love with. He loves to watch him come out to feed. And has started to hand feed him wiggling a chunk of shrimp till he all but crawls into his hand to eat.

Now to my question we ran out of shrimp this weekend but have plenty of frozen trout in the freezer is there any reason this would be harmful to any of the tanks inhabitants?

I have heard it said feeding goldfish is not good for saltwater fish. Is this true? Would trout be the same?

thanks for your help

I think the reason goldfish are not advised is cuz they just aren't that nutritious. It should work for the short term, but i wouldn't feed it an exclusive trout diet, probably not enough of the right nutrients for the long term.

I feed mine pieces of frozen food.... Till he started eating my fish, and shrimp, then he was removed. But that was a brittle star, my serpent does fine just leaving him be, but I target feed him a piece of krill 1-2 times a month, very entertaining.

Thanks Impur and Nyles, I hope feeding him everyday is not harmful because my son heads straight for the tank every day to play with and feed his new best friend. he is totaly captivated and says that this is the only fish in the tank that Knows him:)

Serpents are very cool, first time I had seen a reef tank the guy pulled one out and put it in my sons hand (I don't advise this to you inverts) and my son was hooked.

My serpent does not come out very often anymore, I wish it did.