Sump design

ChrisQ

My acrylic sumps baffles have all separated putting enough pressure on the outer seams to break one of them.

After i figured out my drain system i really like the sump design, the plan was to have some baffles cut for a 40b i have and try and copy my current sumps design, my problem is finding a good source for the glass and one of the panes will need a "dog-leg" cut, i've never worked with glass so i don't know how this is done and at what cost. The last time i tried to find some glass for this it was over $20 per pane and there was no talk of the special cut.

So in the end i might be better off buying a new sump in the classifieds and if that's the case what would be the best sump design for a Bean animal?

DSC04111_zpsfdhcgwd3.jpg

DSC04112_zps102panbr.jpg

DSC04114_zps4wn4szc1.jpg

Here is the best pic of the empty sump i could find to show the design.

DSC03667_zpsuusgzfjs.jpg

After looking at this pic for a bit, there might not be a need for a special cut.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as i've never had to build a sump yet.

If going plexiglas is an option I think that would allow you to have anything you can dream up cut and or bent at TAP. I have a plexiglas 20 gallon ish tank you can have if it would help you in any way. Should be able to find a larger one if needed, cheap somewhere around here.

I did a glass 40B for my sump and used plexiglas for my baffles. Seems like it will hold for now but would rather it be plexiglas to plexiglas .

Running a bean animal or herbie or...  you would want all 3 drains to drain into one chamber ie the skimmer area, then on to  the return area.  Between the skimmer and return you can have a fuge and maybe a passive chemical area dependent on the amount of room that you have.

Usually the flow is from one side to the other or "U shaped but it gets too complicated when you go from left to right then back right to left.  The rule for water is it'll take the path with the least resistance.

GL