Brooklynella questions.

Zmcclinton63

I'm having a hard time IDing if my fish have saver ich or if they have brooklynella.

Mainly the part that has me thinking it isn't brook is the fact that my fish have had whatever is on them for about two weeks. And from what I understand brook kills very quick. I've done my reading for the past two weeks so now I'm looking for feed back also I've snapped some okay pics with my canon, if anyone thinks they can ID it for sure I'll be glad to post them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a nasty bout with brook last year, so I can take a look at your pictures and give you my opinion, but I really doubt fish would last that long with it. If you have a powerful UV sterilizer or a large tank with excellent filtration, it might slow down the outbreak, but only to an extent. Brook generally kills faster than velvet, with many fish only lasting hours to a day or two.  Stores manage to sell fish with brook because copper masks the symptoms and keeps it at a low level infestation, but then you take the fish home and have a very nasty disease on your hands. Whatever you're dealing with, I'm very sorry. Fish disease sucks!

I had a nasty bout with brook last year, so I can take a look at your pictures and give you my opinion, but I really doubt fish would last that long with it. If you have a powerful UV sterilizer or a large tank with excellent filtration, it might slow down the outbreak, but only to an extent. Brook generally kills faster than velvet, with many fish only lasting hours to a day or two. Stores manage to sell fish with brook because copper masks the symptoms and keeps it at a low level infestation, but then you take the fish home and have a very nasty disease on your hands. Whatever you're dealing with, I'm very sorry. Fish disease sucks!

Thank you flashy for the reply I really hope it isn't brook! Here are the pics.

e0b1fd3d39d6a7df866ecc83b153636e.jpg

123b74b53d476f7814eb9f88ab724e88.jpg

7a1781e2a0973463f2bcf95fcb6367bc.jpg

22bf0e432ed35a151ec292c45407b3d1.jpg

ce1d79a1dc4015eb82efc0a6c0f764e2.jpg

Poor fish. Based on the pictures, it's not impossible that that's brook, but if the fish has looked like that for a couple of weeks, my opinion is that it's a very heavy ich infestation.

Does the fish appear to be peeling? A cloudy and peeling appearance is usually the most obvious symptom of brook, but it's tough to tell if that is the case with your fish. Hiding and loss of appetite are some other brook symptoms. It's possible for a fish to have both brook and ich, since ich is in most tanks and tends to show its ugly face when fish are weakened by other diseases, but I would be very surprised to see a fish last 2 weeks without treatment, if he did have both issues.

Have you added anything wet (fish, snails, coral, live rock) to your tank in the last two months? If not, this is almost certainly ich. Brook is far, far less likely if nothing new has been added, especially if your tank is small or has less than stellar filtration.

If it's "just" ich, that's a bigger issue in terms of eradicating it from your tank and not adding it back, since an ich-free display requires effort far beyond what most people are willing to do. This is a good read on ich eradication versus ich management:

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-diagnosis/188775-ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.html

If you end up with further reason to suspect brook, here is some useful info:

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/brookynella.html

That page has a good outline for treatment, but you should know going into it that most are not successful treating brook. It's not that the treatment doesn't work; it's just that the fish is usually too far gone by the time treatment starts. It is worth trying, though, as some do succeed. You'll need a clean place to keep the fish after treatment while your tank goes fallow, and I highly recommend a few weeks beyond the 4-6 week recommendation, at least 8 to be fairly sure and 12 if you want to be very sure.

If it were me, I would assume ich and treat for that, along with a fallow period and careful quarantine in the future. Some have luck with other methods, and whatever works for you personally is what you should do. I sympathize with anyone dealing with fish disease, regardless of their opinions on quarantine. I hope your fish pull through!

Poor fish. Based on the pictures, it's not impossible that that's brook, but if the fish has looked like that for a couple of weeks, my opinion is that it's a very heavy ich infestation.

Does the fish appear to be peeling? A cloudy and peeling appearance is usually the most obvious symptom of brook, but it's tough to tell if that is the case with your fish. Hiding and loss of appetite are some other brook symptoms. It's possible for a fish to have both brook and ich, since ich is in most tanks and tends to show its ugly face when fish are weakened by other diseases, but I would be very surprised to see a fish last 2 weeks without treatment, if he did have both issues.

Have you added anything wet (fish, snails, coral, live rock) to your tank in the last two months? If not, this is almost certainly ich. Brook is far, far less likely if nothing new has been added, especially if your tank is small or has less than stellar filtration.

If it's "just" ich, that's a bigger issue in terms of eradicating it from your tank and not adding it back, since an ich-free display requires effort far beyond what most people are willing to do. This is a good read on ich eradication versus ich management:

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-diagnosis/188775-ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.html

If you end up with further reason to suspect brook, here is some useful info:

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/brookynella.html

That page has a good outline for treatment, but you should know going into it that most are not successful treating brook. It's not that the treatment doesn't work; it's just that the fish is usually too far gone by the time treatment starts. It is worth trying, though, as some do succeed. You'll need a clean place to keep the fish after treatment while your tank goes fallow, and I highly recommend a few weeks beyond the 4-6 week recommendation, at least 8 to be fairly sure and 12 if you want to be very sure.

If it were me, I would assume ich and treat for that, along with a fallow period and careful quarantine in the future. Some have luck with other methods, and whatever works for you personally is what you should do. I sympathize with anyone dealing with fish disease, regardless of their opinions on quarantine. I hope your fish pull through!

Thank you you for all the info!

I did recently add two fish I added a Midas blenny and a blue spot jawfish. The skin is not pealing off and everyone still has an apatite.

I only have a 93gal. With a uv sterilizer. I have started treating herbtana in my tank a couple days ago to help with ich. If it turns out to be brook I will do the treatment you recommend. Thank you for all the info it's helped a lot! I really do not want to lose my black tang. He is my favorite fish.