How To Dip You New Coral

Sasquatch

This is a tutorial for all you beginners who don't already dip.

Monkey_with_glasses.jpg

Everyone should dip their new coral before adding it to your tank just to make sure you don't add anything harmful such as: flatworms, nudibranch, vermetid worms, algae, spiders, pest crabs, and asterina stars.

Watch out and save those Stometella snails! They're helpful.

d0832e27ace678976ce0673e91a353ca_zps587791c2.jpg

First step:

Is to acclimate your corals into tank temperature and salinity water. Use a small bowl or bucket to either drop acclimate with a hose from your tank, or I use a pipette to squirt once every minute or two. (Use this time to gather materials for the next step

058a6c818531005256961951c6a02225_zps6a2bc701.jpg

2af5913af5b89230c846b39b6d6aff30_zpsc6925a26.jpg

Step two:

Once acclimated to your bucket you will want to add your dipping solution.. If it's just from one one trusted tank to another you may be fine with just dipping coral revive or hydrogen peroxide to help cleanse or kill off some algae spores. A capful for 10 minutes should be fine. Use other store bought dips in this manor or instructions written on the side

31eb50caa1e2aa0987b7f3c650786540_zps36d747d9.jpg

***WARNING: DO NOT USE ON FRAGILE SOFTIES LIKE XENIA OR SOME MUSHROOMS IF YOU CAN AVOID IT. THEY MELT***

I always recommend something stronger and is a must for unknown sources or wild reef corals. Bayer insect killer is reef safe and will be your only hope for some pests including flatworms. I used one tube as I pulled it out of the bottle, but more accurate measurements would be 5ml-10ml for your bowl. (You can't really overdose this stuff and coral can technically stay in there for an hour if you forget.) Dip for 10-20 minutes; longer if it's from unknown sources or has visible pests.

73adab7e69706b897cf7d506dec08f5b_zps32c7265b.jpg

Setting a timer is helpful

dbcf3e8f569e6e2075555a1e5a36c37d_zps6a7c7cdc.jpg

Don't leave your coral out in the air long cause Acros will brown or die if left out. You may want to remove the base rock if it has Flatworms. The eggs do not die with dipping

21dbd57d4cea439b3584c900a161d8c7_zps46c28534.jpg

Step three:

After your dipping period you want to rinse off your coral and whatever dip remains. Soak and gently swish the coral in *A new container* of just tank water. Use this time to also frag your coral if wanted before placing. *Detailed Fragging tutorial to come*

8dcb576b2c253e629916240883e97beb_zps53caf038.jpg

What is left over is all the bad stuff you dipped away. Look at those nasties

6980e3637757b4ea1ad547b002c720d9_zps77b46e4c.jpg

Step four:

Place and superglue your new coral down into your tank, and it's always better if you don't know the lighting requirements to place lower and move up over time. Enjoy!

63bee39241a4ba16abd838a009f0aac9_zpsa8c8adb2.jpg

***IN CASE OF FLATWORMS, REPEAT THE DIPPING PROCESS WEEKLY FOR 6 WEEKS***

This is a tutorial for all you beginners who don't already dip.

Everyone should dip their new coral before adding it to your tank just to make sure you don't add anything harmful such as: flatworms, nudibranch, veratmid worms, algae, spiders, pest crabs, and asterina stars.

First step:

Is to acclimate your corals into tank temperature and salinity water. Use a small bowl or bucket to either drop acclimate with a hose from your tank, or I use a pipette to squirt once every minute or two. (Use this time to gather materials for the next step

Step two:

Once acclimated to your bucket you will want to add your dipping solution.. If it's just from one one trusted tank to another you may be fine with just dipping coral revive or hydrogen peroxide to help cleanse or kill off some algae spores. A capful for 10 minutes should be fine. Use other store bought dips in this manor or instructions written on the side

***WARNING: DO NOT USE ON FRAGILE SOFTIES LIKE XENIA OR SOME MUSHROOMS IF YOU CAN AVOID IT. THEY MELT***

I always recommend something stronger and is a must for unknown sources or wild reef corals. Bayer insect killer is reef safe and will be your only hope for some pests including flatworms. I used one tube as I pulled it out of the bottle, but more accurate measurements would be 5ml-10ml for your bowl. (You can't really overdose this stuff and coral can technically stay in there for an hour if you forget.) Dip for 10-20 minutes; longer if it's from unknown sources or has visible pests.

Don't leave your coral out in the air long cause Acros will brown or die if left out. You may want to remove the base rock if it has Flatworms. The eggs do not die with dipping

21dbd57d4cea439b3584c900a161d8c7_zps46c28534.jpg

Step three:

After your dipping period you want to rinse off your coral and whatever dip remains. Soak and gently swish the coral in more tank water. Use this time to also frag your coral if wanted before placing. *Detailed Fragging tutorial to come*

Step four:

Place and superglue your new coral down into your tank, and it's always better if you don't know the lighting requirements to place lower and move up over time. Enjoy!

***IN CASE OF FLATWORMS, REPEAT THE DIPPING PROCESS WEEKLY FOR 6 WEEKS***

Flat worms suck! My little 16 gallon got them and I tried to siphon them out and those little suckers just keep coming back! So last night I got a Blue Velvet Nudibranch (his name is Alfred(clap)) and am excited to see him clean up the tank!

Great tutorial!! Doing this will prevent a lot of problems :)