Skimmer Question

obeasethug

Since it has a vertical return pipe, I would figure that you shouldn't have the water level above that, otherwise it would cause back pressure into the skimmer body, forcing more water up toward the cup. It can be submerged, but you will have a wetter skimmate, with a ratio directly related to the depth below the water surface. Hope this helps.

I guess I should clarify - the opening at the top end of the return should not be submerged. If the opening is currently submerged, you will see a difference in performance if you raise it above the water surface in the new sump. Dial in your skimmer to where you think it is performing the best, measure, and there you have your optimal depth for the skimmer chamber in your sump!

You want to set the inside water level "right to" the rim where the cup comes off, fine tune from there. You'll want dark "thicker" skimmate not "clear yellow" "tea like". The skimmers themselves are usually sitting in 5" to 6" of water, somewhere around there would be a good starting point. There's always some trial and error to setting a skimmer up. Try finding a thread on one of the forums (RC) where someone mentions the best sitting depth for that particular Pacific Coast skimmer. Just tryin to help.

My current sump has the skimmer sitting in about 6" of water. The adjustable return sets the water height in the mixing chamber and I have the set-up currently. My question is that If i put my skimmer in a 12" deep chamber would that change the way my skimmer is running. My pump would still be fully submerged, and my adjustable return would still be above the water line (i wouldnt have to change that, as it is running fine right now). So i am thinking that as long as the pump is always under water and the return is always above that the function of the skimmer will remain the same. Also the sponge just slides up and down the return line, I believe it is to be at the water line to prevent splash from the water returning to the chamber. Thank you all for the help.

Think of it like this, your sitting depth sets the "range" of the water height you'll have to work with due to pressure, then you'll use your return control for "fine tuning" that water height inside your skimmer. So to deep and no matter if your valve is 100% open it will still overflow. To shallow and you'll have close the return valve all the way to get the inside water height up making the amount of water flowing through your skimmer zero. The trick finding the happy medium sitting depth that allows you the most control of water height with your return valve.