Diy skimmer

kev311

I'm not really happy with my remora c pro so I'm thinking about building a skimmer and I've been searching around for design ideas and the Beckett skimmer looks like a good project but I'm curious if this is too much skimmer for 65 gallons of total water volume. So I would like to know what your opinions on this are.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Becketts work great, unless you do not have a pump that will push enough pressure to it. A cheap venturi valve is available - here is one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0WG0846883&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

And you can build the rest out of abs or pvc length and fittings - you won't be able to see the bubbles until they reach the top of the neck and adjust from there - I had a 75 gallon reef that I made a skimmer for in this same way in the late 90's

worked great - and for the most part the whole top end can be slip - fitted and remain water tight.

About $35-45 in parts total, I imagine, without a pump.

Though I do believe you are better off convincing someone to sell you a small skimmer for the same amount and maybe modifying it.

DIY is very gratifying when it works out, but a failure just feels like a waste of time and money - and you are right back where you started.

My skimmer is rated for 150g i got it on my 65 with 20l sump' date=' total water volume is probably close to 50g after all the displscement. I have a teeny bioload so it doesnt get that nasty but it works great! Def didnt diy mine though[/quote']

Thanks for the input so far, what brand and model are you using and size pump do you have driving yours Garrett

Have you considered building a skimmer that does not rely on a pump to pull int the air and pump the water.

You could build or mod a skimmer to be a counter current, air driven. You would be able to feed the skimmer directly from your over flow. All you would need to do is get your self a quality ceramic air stone, and a small Luft air pump.

IMO these type of skimmers give much better dwell time, bombbardment rate. With the correct air to water ratio you can out skim any skimmer on the market.

Have you considered building a skimmer that does not rely on a pump to pull int the air and pump the water.

You could build or mod a skimmer to be a counter current, air driven. You would be able to feed the skimmer directly from your over flow. All you would need to do is get your self a quality ceramic air stone, and a small Luft air pump.

IMO these type of skimmers give much better dwell time, bombbardment rate. With the correct air to water ratio you can out skim any skimmer on the market.

Actually after looking at wanna reefs build I'm looking at possibly moding one for that purpose, although I don't need one that big so a single boss Hogg stone should do it