Water polishing

Sol

So, I've been looking for a way to deal with detritus flying around in the water coloumn. It looks like a bit of "dust" or particulate matter that just flies around and looks ugly. It doesn't do anything evil regarding my chemical params; this is purely an aesthetic problem.

Anyway, I'm looking for a way to get this detritus out of the water. What are your reccommendations?

As far as I can see, the options include filter socks, which would do the trick, but they're problematic since I don't have a place for them in the sump, and I've heard they can become a nitrate factory. Also I don't want the maintenence hassle if it's avoidable. Option number two is a diatom filter, but the same problems apply. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

-Sol

I'm already running ozone (not sponge but ozone in my skimmer) and carbon. They help clarify the water itself but don't really take matter out of the water coloumn. How does one use filter floss? How high maintenence is it?

-Sol

Floss comes in sheets and in big bags, how ever you can get the flow through it. It works better at getting the fine stuff trapped and after a bit of junk buildup, it filters even finer. Then ya take it out and toss it. A used canister filter will work well to with floss in it. Do you have baffles in sump?

Do you have pic's of it?

Yeah, my sump has baffles. So I can just shove the floss in between the baffles?

You want pics of the detritus or the baffles? If the detritus (which I assume is what you meant), it's really hard to get a photo of. It's not much; I can easily see clearly through the 5' length of the tank.

-Sol

No photo, but here's a quick sketch I made:

sump.jpg

Water flows in from tank at bottom left (skimmer chamber) and top left (long skinny refugium). Water returns to tank from bottom right (water change/heaters/etc). As you can see, there are two sets of baffles.

-Sol